Respected Contributor

Re: The Project: Curating MacDuff's Closet...

@MacDUFF. First let me say thank you for the giggle you provided in your description of your "Botticelli belly"....which, by the way you DON'T have, I've seen pics you've posted!  But it made me laugh!!

Second, I love your project idea.  I've done a version of it the past year, and it's a constantly evolving project.  Every couple months I go through and pull things I'm just not wearing anymore, and into the donate bag they go.

I want to be in the same group of folks who only buy...and keep...what they love, and what looks good when worn.  

Thanks for posting and for the incentive to keep going, myself!!

Esteemed Contributor

This is a recent purchase...everydurnedthing has come under the microscope lol.   Natori from Nordstrom...softest cotton...wash/dry...no shrinkage. 

Forgive the wrinkles...I try to impress upon Handsome the necessity for taking the clothes out of the dryer and folding them as soon as the buzzer goes off...he doesn't see the need when it's just jammies and socks.

Me:   If you fold things as soon as they're dry, you minimize wrinkles.

Handsome:   But it's just pj's...who cares if they're wrinkled?  It's not like anyone sees you in your pj's.

Me:   [Sounding suspiciously like my Mom]   You never know who's going to see you in your jammies!

I rest my case...

20171011_233213.jpeg
~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF

I think that buying several pair of jeans that you LOVE and that you LIVE IN really IS a great investment!

It's a good principle, to buy something that you wear a lot in multiples.  I find that to make a lot of sense.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MacDUFF

I can relate to your closet and even though I photograph every single clothing item that I buy and the photos into a digital photo album, the photos are of the individual clothes and not me wearing them. When I did the transition of summer clothes into fall I went through all of my sweaters and got rid of most of them. I am not a sweater wearing person and don't like cardigans (I feel like Mr Rogers in one.) I got rid of several waterfall cardigans that had way too long sleeves and were too big in the upper arm and kept only 1 that I actually wore on vacations. I've kept one button sweater as it has a removable real curly lamb shawl collar but that sweater may still get the toss while I keep the real fur collar.

Earlier this year I got rid of most of my dresses as I seldom wear any. I did not wear one single dress this year so far. And when I tried them on some did not fit well due to a meno-gut.

I also tried on every single fall and winter top and got rid of any tops that emphasized my mid section.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I think I may be afraid that if I get rid of those things I never wear that my closet is going to be almost empty.

That's a little scary to me.

O.K., I'll shut up now.

hahaha

Think about being able to 🌪 T-W-I-R-L 💃 in your closet!

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

In the last few days...and this is just the beginning...I have accumulated 4 bags of fall/transitional items for Goodwill (one bag is full of books, a purse, some jewelry, and a pair of tennies)...

@MacDUFF

I see this meme on FB all the time & have to laugh.

So true.  

Sometimes the drive to the donation site is the hardest part. 

🙃😀🌼

4EC40CAE-49E6-493D-A487-29D6DFCE874D.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@itsmagic  Heart

@drizzellla

Repeat after me:  "I will not buy things I at least like, I will buy things I love."  Teasing you!   New rule:  If I don't wear (and love) something new (ie, if I don't take the tags off lol) within a few weeks of purchase, it's going back.    You also hit on something I've been struggling with...I'm semi-retired, so why am I even looking at "work related clothes?"  I don't even get that!

@NorthernLights

We'll whittle together (altho mine is probably more like bulldozing lol)...and it's killin' me, too!  

@alicedee  Heart

I think a constantly evolving wardrobe is a good thing (within reason), and I hope to get to that point after I get a handle on what I already have!

@TY

You're way ahead of me...proud of you!   Cardis are tricky for me...I don't like the Mr. Rogers look either lol...but I can wear the straight front cardis.  

@sidsmom

LOL!   More room in my closet and drawers is a goal.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom

If I don't go immediately to the Goodwill, I'm afraid I'll start taking things out of the bag and putting them back in my closet lol.

Respected Contributor

I did a huge closet/clothes purge earlier this summer. I donated 6, yes 6, large black 33 gal size trash bags. Yikes! It’s been a few months and I feel like I should go through things again and what I kept that I “thought” I should keep, yet haven’t touched, should be cleared out now too. It feels like the never-ending project right now. LOL!

Honored Contributor

Inspirational!!  I did something similar two years ago and am back where I started.  Sales are bad.  Don't buy because of price.  Buy because of fit, style and it actually goes with something you already own.