Honored Contributor

According to that article, the CEO of The Limited is now at Chicos.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I am sorry to hear another store is closing. It seems everyone is buying clothes online, but I still prefer shopping in stores and trying things on before buying. We have a Limited in one of our malls. I have shopped there in the past. 

Honored Contributor

Wasn't it The Limited that came out with a line copying clothes from the first year of the tv show Scandal?  They did wool coats with no lining.  Didn't do well at all.

Trusted Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Just today I went to my local mall and noticed that the store was stripped bare and had sales signs with dramatic savings posted on the front windows.  The truth is, I had even forgotten the store was there.  In my younger days, I frequented the store often as it had stylish offerings.

Seeing this store in its final days as a B&M structure did hurt my heart.  What is going on in the marketplace is tragic, and we, as consumers, will ultimately suffer.  I am as guilty as the next peson of buying online, but the demise of the Limited (and so many other stores) brings home the truth that everything has consequences.

I too shopped The limited years ago before the clothing became disposable. Online shopping has been the best thing that has ever happened to my wardrobe.  The ease of point and click is not only a time saver but now so much easier to buy higher end on sale.  Love it!

Honored Contributor

@evelyner wrote:

I loved the Limited in the 80's, and then it changed.

I was a regular at The Limited, Casual Corner, Parisian (a high-end department store) and the mercantile which was purchased by Dillard's.  I expect with society changing as it is we will not see the good middle-income stores any longer.  Society has changed, populus has changed.  We will see Saks and the like for the high income, and WalMart, etc., for the lower income.  The people like me (thank God, I am near the end of my life) will not have the advantages that we had in the 1980s-1990s and early 2000s.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Limited is closing

[ Edited ]

While it's true brick & mortar retail is a changing landscape, The Limited hasn't been a huge player for years.  Their corporate leadership didn't do any favors for the namesake brand after they decided to put most of the financial resources into the marketing of Victoria Secret and expanding that brand.  Maybe if they had cut out a couple of those mega bucks Victoria Secret televised runway shows and not paid out huge contracts to supermodels to be in VS catalogues, perhaps a fraction of that money could have been put to use in design and quality production of Limited merchandise.  They didn't do that, so as the Limited became a dull boring store over the past 20 years, their original customer based aged out of that style of clothing, and the replacement young women go elsewhere (such as H&M, Forever 21 and Zara) when shopping for inexpensive trendy clothes.  I can't see a store which has sluggish sales and is empty every time I pass one improving their lot online.  I feel this store may be totally extinct in the next year or so as a result of being completely out of sight and out of mind. 

Honored Contributor

@traveler   Not surprised The Limited is closing. I heard Abacrombie & Fitch going as well. With some Macy's stores closing as well, I'm wondering what will be the future of our malls. Our larger mall w/ Nordstrom's has many available spaces and some that are boarded up where stores are clearing out. Quite depressing to walk through.

Respected Contributor

I think clothing quality is getting really bad.  Maybe if American made clothing comes back it will get better?  At least there will be more jobs in the U. S. 

Respected Contributor

Some dead malls are remodeled to become offices.  It's happened here.

http://deadmalls.com/