Respected Contributor

Re: The High/Low hem look in fashion

I had a shirt with a hi/low hem in the '80s!  It had a shirttail (rounded hem).  I loved that shirt.  I was never a fan of the sharkbite hem, but I do like the hi/low for shirts as long as the front comes down to the top of the legs and the back isn't ridiculously long.  Too much of a contrast looks bad on me because I don't wear extreme styles and can't carry them off.  Someone with a different sense of style maybe could, but not me.

New Contributor

I agree but have too many of them to go away. Some still have the tags on them. Haha

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't mind a subtle high low top with just a bit of difference in the hem length. I think that works with a slim pant, especially if the top is a bit flowy. 

I have never been a fan of boot cut jeans. I know all the experts say they are the most flattering cut, but every pair I try on looks unflattering on my shape. When the knee goes in and the bottom flares out too much that accentuates my wider hips. I prefer a straight leg. I did find a pair of barely boot cut jeans at Kohl's a few years back, and they were great; haven't seen them in the store since. 

Honored Contributor

I agree with @wilma in regards to the high/low hems on tops, they need to be more subtle for me to buy/wear. I also like the demi-bootcut jeans best, but bootcut jeans are what I buy. I don't like straight, skinny, etc in jeans

"To each their own, in all things".
Super Contributor

Hate them - look like someone's first inept sewing project!  And they don't hide anything so why do they keep trying to use that as a selling feature?

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Many of you may remember I have a lot of study as well as practical application in design.  Here goes,

In that we've had them for about four years there are a few "symptoms" a trend is beginning it's way down hill.

The upper designers generally aren't showing them any longer.

Shoppers are buying less or not buying.  Clearance doesn't count.

Shoppers are tired of the look.

The style can't be geared to every age level.

Most of the things we call "classics" or "basics" like tank tops, were trends that were widely loved, everyone could wear them, and they found a permanent place in our wardrobe.

My clue that it is on the way out is when I see it being mass produced by the big box stores

Trusted Contributor

I like the handkerchief hem on some items, not so much in the one pictured, but I don't like the hi-low.  I accidentally bought a couple blouses and I like to tuck, and I had all this material hanging past my butt to tuck in, looked sloppy and was uncomfortable. 

Honored Contributor

For tops, I do like the look and have several pieces.  For dresses .. not for me.