Contributor

The Flouncy Peplum and gathered Drape Tops

I do not want to offend anyone who loves this style, but is it me or is a giant ruffle and lots of flounce around the hem look ridiculous on older women? I am older, 60's and in good shape and I see the gathered ruffley flouncy tops and think oh hellz no. I'm thinking a petite women, no matter her age would look cute....BUT 

Some of these tops look horrible on the modles what would they look like on a regular gal? I feel like those styles are really being pushed.  What happened to classic styles? I am sure they are on QVC, I just always happen to see the empire waist with ruffle bottomed flouncy tops that would me me look pregnant. I would look ridiculous in them.

I am grateful that Denim & Co still has the tunics that are not ruffled or flouncy. Ok...I'm off my soapbox. 

Honored Contributor

Re: The Flouncy Peplum and gathered Drape Tops

This topic comes up regularly.  We are individuals and each of us has her own sense of style and comfort.  If you are looking for more traditional styling and excellent craftsmanship, you might want to check out the Linea offerings.  Louis is an exceptional designer and you might enjoy his clothing.  

Honored Contributor

There are many styles available on the Q.  Bypass the ones you don't like.  I only focus on the styles that I can do double duty.  Wear to work or wear on a day of fun.  

Honored Contributor

I'm around groups of "older" women several times a week.  I can't recall any of them looking ridiculous - no matter how they dress.

I was at our women's group annual luncheon yesterday.  Well over 100 women there (age range from 30's to 90s) and everyone looked fab!

(Great luncheon ... great time ... great friends)

Respected Contributor

I'm one hundred percent with AutumnJan. I see way too many "older" women dressed in (to me) younger garb. They look (again, to me) ridiculous.

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

This topic comes up regularly.  We are individuals and each of us has her own sense of style and comfort.  If you are looking for more traditional styling and excellent craftsmanship, you might want to check out the Linea offerings.  Louis is an exceptional designer and you might enjoy his clothing.  

I love Linea.....but these days even Louis is doing alot 

of the trend styles......alot with the sleeves, ruffle,etc....

Honored Contributor

@kelsey17  Yes, I've seen a few....just bypass what you don't love.  For my money, he is the best QVC offers.  This is always an individual decision as to design.

@kelsey17 wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I love Linea.....but these days even Louis is doing alot 

of the trend styles......alot with the sleeves, ruffle,etc....

Honored Contributor

I dislike peplums, ruffles added to the hem of a garment, and fit and flare tops. Despite what the vendors and hosts say about these tops hiding figure flaws, I don’t think all the extra fabric is flattering. It seems to me it just adds more width to your hips. JMO. If others like them that is fine. I can find tops without these details in stores in my area. 

Respected Contributor

Im for one glad they got rid of the shark bite hem!

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@AutumnJan: I tried on a couple of that style and just couldn’t commit. I'm trim, in shape but they just felt too little girlish on me. Doesn’t bother me if others like and wear.