Respected Contributor

Re: The Cost of A Simple Tank

Tanks and tops are expensive here. Yes, quality may be better, but I've bought tanks and tops at B&M or online other places for less and they've lasted me years. I have two long-sleeved tops I purchased at Walmart over ten years ago and they're still holding up. But shoppers are willing to pay higher prices, and if they can, that's good. Unfortunately I barely have that option. 

QVC's unwillingness to price even just basic tanks and tops under $30 boggles me, and it's the reason why I won't buy any clothing here unless it's something I really want to purchase. Luckily I have the option of going to a QVC outlet where they do discount their items and I can see them in person and try them on. 

Honored Contributor

I have noticed that before. I won't buy simple tanks and t shirts here for that reason. Too expensive! Both Isaac and Susan charge way too much for basic t shirt styles..I can go elsewhere and get them for far less, and if I have to replace them every season-no biggie since I have spent so little on them. But 50.00 for a tshirt or a tank is way too much! 

Respected Contributor

every year or sometimes every other year, i buy my tank tops at walmart off the display in the aisle where they are folded up...3.99. I usually get two of every color, which is usually six or 8 colors. so i grab 14 to 16 tanks and they last me a year or two. sometimes at the end of the summer, they throw them out there for 1.99 and i clean up on what's left. they are usually cotton/poly and do not fall apart, but do fade over time. they are basic tank tops that never go out of style. ms graver's tanks are just so expensive and they have a baggy fit. for me, i prefer a more fitted tank and i get that for cheap at "the mart."

Respected Contributor

If I am wearing a t shirt to excersise in .. along with my 10 dollar

yoga pants ... trust me i don't want it to last more than one season !!!!

So 5 dollars and when it gets too skanky out it goes ...

And with the 49 dollar t .. the first time i would wear it I would get a

spot on it ...

Now for dress .. that's a bit different ....

Super Contributor

About a month ago i bought a beautiful sik tank at JJill for about $15.00. It was in the clearance section with an extra percentage plus I used another coupon I found on line. The cotton tanks and tshirts are good quality and they have sales often. I get much more there in quality for price than tanks and t shirts from QVC.

Floral Pillow
Respected Contributor

I see a huge difference between a $10 Kohls tshirt and a $35 Isaac Mizrahi tshirt. The $10 shirt is perfectly serviceable, but it’s not the same.
Respected Contributor

at least we can have comic relief when viewing some of the designers when they are so excited about thier sales of $3-$4. off of a $50. item down to $45. SG& IM +. They exclaim "wow --no way-- that can't be ?!" (hey they are designers not actors . )Smiley Wink

Like other posters here I buy at wal-mart for tees & tanks. I have frequently found 100% cotton for $5. - $10. When laundered properly I find they last just as long as more expensive ones. This fits my life style fine as I attend pot luck community affairs, friends functions, chain eateries,  grocery shopping, and am retired.

I like D&Co. especially for pants and SG's coats , but anymore just shop sales or clearance. D&Co. I find are the most likely to have realistic mark downs.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops  I hear you on this one. You know what's hanging on a spare rack  of clothes? Tons of skinny tees that I really never did like for many reasons but I thought I just had to have them. Yeah, great colors and basics but those too are pricey and now getting dusty. I've lost wght now, I need to revisit those to see how they look now and then decide to keep and wear or bag to Goodwill.

Honored Contributor

I usually buy my tank tops and camisoles at Kohl’s, Dress Barn, or Stein Mart for $20 or less. I don’t wear them every day so they last for multiple seasons. I recently bought 3 from Chadwick’s on sale for $15 each. I like these because they have a higher neck. Some tanks are cut way too low for my modesty level. 

Honored Contributor

I agree fabrication is a make or break as to whther you will really wear any garment for that matter.  For tanks, I have to give it to a liquid knit type of fabric because for me it fits well, looks great, no clinging. D&Co 95/5 I cannot wear. The tees, tanks whatever are always too long for me. I REALLY do not like how this fabric feels so I pass these by.