Honored Contributor

Re: The Coastal Grandmother Look

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Odd that so many grandmothers are delighted to be grandmothers and so afraid of looking like one.  Whatever that is. . . 

@Sooner 

Being a grandmother is SO much love and joy but I think those ladies are still the same person inside who wants to look their best.  

@ECBG I just saw this old thread and guess what?  I am still excited about life now that I don't have to worry about looking my best!  It is a blessing to me for sure.

Forty years of dressing up, suits, jewelry, hair and makeup, heels and skirts and 111 degree weather like this I can remember.  Wandering around downtown areas some days looking for the car all dressed up carrying purses and brief cases and thinking you'd just melt! Then sometimes four or five more hours of dinner and speeches that night . . .

I had a difficult job, but I think looking good was a bigger stress factor than the job itself!  Thank goodness it's over!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

I totally get what you're saying!!!

Mentioning the heat, I'm working the Southern Highland Guild show with my friend, and I swear they're trying to freeze meat!

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t like labels. I have my own style, love color & always coordinate accessories. That was my style throughout my life. I don’t like neutrals as a rule but have a few pieces. I find the phrase “coastal grandmother” silly and maybe a bit insulting.
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner 

Mentioning the heat, I'm working the Southern Highland Guild show with my friend, and I swear they're trying to freeze meat!

@ECBG Now that's what I call a blessing!!!!!  I'll bet you come away with another pendant!  You have some beautiful ones!  Have fun! 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner 

@ECBG Now that's what I call a blessing!!!!!  I'll bet you come away with another pendant!  You have some beautiful ones!  Have fun! 

@Sooner 

You're too sweet!  Many thanks!

I didn't exactly buy a pendant, I designed one and the artist is going to make it.Smiley Happy

I did buy a long woven silk rectangle shawl in black and wore it the whole time!  The air conditioner over compensated with the rising temperatures!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Odd that so many grandmothers are delighted to be grandmothers and so afraid of looking like one.  Whatever that is. . . 

@Sooner 

Being a grandmother is SO much love and joy but I think those ladies are still the same person inside who wants to look their best.  

@ECBG I just saw this old thread and guess what?  I am still excited about life now that I don't have to worry about looking my best!  It is a blessing to me for sure.

Forty years of dressing up, suits, jewelry, hair and makeup, heels and skirts and 111 degree weather like this I can remember.  Wandering around downtown areas some days looking for the car all dressed up carrying purses and brief cases and thinking you'd just melt! Then sometimes four or five more hours of dinner and speeches that night . . .

I had a difficult job, but I think looking good was a bigger stress factor than the job itself!  Thank goodness it's over!

@Sooner There's a BIG difference from wearing suits, stockings, heels, chunky jewelry and a full face of makeup from living a casual life at the beach, but still looking great. 

It's not a 'worry'!

And being a Nana is as exciting as being a new mother, if not more!Heart

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner 

@Sooner There's a BIG difference from wearing suits, stockings, heels, chunky jewelry and a full face of makeup from living a casual life at the beach, but still looking great. 

It's not a 'worry'!

And being a Nana is as exciting as being a new mother, if not more!Heart

@Lucky Charm Right.  People don't have to look like dirty laundry in almost all cases.  No matter where you are. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

Just curious.  Do you have a favorite among my pendants?Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner 

Just curious.  Do you have a favorite among my pendants?Smiley Happy

@ECBG You have a white one that if I remember is carved maybe?  That would be it!  I love that look.