Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Coastal Grandmother Look

[ Edited ]

I like the look of all neutrals. The name "Coastal Grandmother" is dumb. There is nothing about the look that makes one think of a grandmother. 

As to TikTok, I wonder how many people are against products from China yet use TikTok? Not implying anyone on the board, just generally speaking. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

@FLgardener wrote:

Being coastal, I have employed this look forever. My thing is, though, I only do the look occasionally.

I may never use this look again, hearing it is called "coastal grandma". I'm old enough, but have no grandkids. Maybe if the look was called "coastal chic" it would sound better to me.

We must be twins. The left coast and right coast agree. I really like your suggestion of changing the look to "coastal chic". A much better fit.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, as far as my coloring goes this would be a great look for me.  I tend to look best in light, beigy colors.  But personality wise, I'm not a vanilla person.  Bright colors and patterns always draw my eye and make me happy.  So I guess I'll never be a Coastal Grandmother even tho I'm of an age and live near the coast. Agree that it should be called Coastal Chic.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Odd that so many grandmothers are delighted to be grandmothers and so afraid of looking like one.  Whatever that is. . . 

That's an odd statement.

Delighted to be grandmothers and so afraid of looking like one.

???

Regular Contributor

Oh my gosh, where have I been?  I never heard of this ... but I think it's kind of cool ... must start watching tiktok!!  I think I'd fall into this category ... the right age, coastal vibe, preppy 'ish, lives near the ocean, shops for the comfy classics, I do love a good pair of khakis!  The only thing missing is some grandchildren ... oh my ... must get my kids to work on that!!    

Esteemed Contributor

For anyone who thought this trend was going away...it's not as of yet. Cotton and linen are in high demand along with straw hats and bags. I think it has replaced the red hatters. It has evolved into an older women support group. You no longer have to be rich, blonde, tall and attractive. Or live on the coast for that matter. Who ever thought this would be a thing?

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

Apparently I was a coastal grandmother starting in my late teens and early twenties.  Always loved neutrals, winter whites, tans, beiges, etc. to the consternation of my mother who suggested that I might be interested in adding some color to my wardrobe. 

I dressed like Diane Keaton before she did!  

Although my weight may have fluctuated over the years, currently I'm a size six and happy with that except for a flat rear. Woman LOL And right now I'm staring at one of my straw hats perched on a chair.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

For anyone who thought this trend was going away...it's not as of yet. Cotton and linen are in high demand along with straw hats and bags. I think it has replaced the red hatters. It has evolved into an older women support group. You no longer have to be rich, blonde, tall and attractive. Or live on the coast for that matter. Who ever thought this would be a thing?

You also don't have to be an "older woman."

Super Contributor

I read an article back in April about how Coastal Grandmother was a decorating trend.  The gist of the article was that millenials were sourcing home decorating items from thrift stores and that a Coastal Grandmother decorating palate was doable when thrifting (neutrals mainly with, wickers wood furniture and other natural materials).   

The only place I have heard it discussed as a fashion trend is on QVC.  I heard Amy Stran talking about it.

Esteemed Contributor

@GoodyShoes wrote:

I read an article back in April about how Coastal Grandmother was a decorating trend.  The gist of the article was that millenials were sourcing home decorating items from thrift stores and that a Coastal Grandmother decorating palate was doable when thrifting (neutrals mainly with, wickers wood furniture and other natural materials).   

The only place I have heard it discussed as a fashion trend is on QVC.  I heard Amy Stran talking about it.

@GoodyShoes 

The Coastal Grandmother look has been all over the Internet.  Particularly in the fashion blogs.  It's definitely not a "QVC thing." 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett