Honored Contributor

Re: The Coastal Grandmother Look

I have not heard of the term but I do know how each one of those ladies dress.  I have been a grandmother for almost 8 years now and nothing as changed in my wardrobe.  My own dear grandmother had many color outfits but they were all the same.  Pullover top with knit pants.  I always wondered how she got those pullover tops over her a once a week to the beauty shop hair without messing it up?   Hairspray to the max.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Odd that so many grandmothers are delighted to be grandmothers and so afraid of looking like one.  Whatever that is. . . 

@Sooner 

I wish someone would explain to me what a grandmother look is.  I am one and still wear the same styles I have worn for years.  Jeans, sweatshirts, tee shirts, simple classics like Talbots.  I just don't get it.

@mspatmac It's age bias.  It's saying "Hey I'm not old because I don't "look" like a grandma."  I guess!  LOL!!!

There is dressing old and there is looking like you are delusional and think you are a hot chick.  Then there are people like us who just wear standard clothes, dress nice and try to look respectable I guess!  I don't know.  I have lost track. . . Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Odd that so many grandmothers are delighted to be grandmothers and so afraid of looking like one.  Whatever that is. . . 

@Sooner 

Being a grandmother is SO much love and joy but I think those ladies are still the same person inside who wants to look their best.  

@ECBG To me it depends on what you are calling one's "best."  To me that means that I look very nice, am well groomed, dressed nicely, but don't have to sweat details like I did when I was younger and when I worked and I don't worry about it.

I am not counting on looks to go as far, or be nearly as big an issue with my life now.  I have let a lot of that aside because I am counting far far more on who I am and how I am now than what I look like.  

Getting dressed for work was putting on a uniform and a face for me.  It wasn't an easy job, and it required tact with people, and demanding of people sometimes, and standing ground a lot of time.  I enjoyed it a lot and hated to retire, but due to pressing family issues, left at 64.  The reward?  Dressing with less stress!

I like to look nice, but have never given loads of thought to clothes except for work.  That why Talbots is my friend!  LOL!!!

Trusted Contributor

Being coastal, I have employed this look forever. My thing is, though, I only do the look occasionally.

I may never use this look again, hearing it is called "coastal grandma". I'm old enough, but have no grandkids. Maybe if the look was called "coastal chic" it would sound better to me.

Honored Contributor

Definitely not my look.  I only look like ME.

No one in their wildest imagination would ever think I was anyone's grandmother - no matter what I wore!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

I think we agree we like to look nice.

We do buy pants that allow the "caboose" look good and tops that don't accent areas we aren't fond of.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner 

I think we agree we like to look nice.

We do buy pants that allow the "caboose" look good and tops that don't accent areas we aren't fond of.Smiley Happy

@ECBG Actually no, you misunderstood me.  I do think of my body as that of an older woman.  I no longer really worry things like areas I am not fond of.  I am thrilled to have a body that functions at my age, that hasn't had real issues and gets me around.  I love my body.  My husband still loves me after all these years so he's happy.  

I'll leave the "areas they aren't fond of" to others at this stage of the game.  I'm not looking in the mirror to find flaws--I'm looking to find me!  :womanvery-happy

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

I'll bet you are stunning and don't even know it!

You're stunning to me.  All you need to know about a person is in their eyes.

I haven't seen your eyes, but we have seen into the heart of every woman that posts here.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ECBG Thanks for the kind words I don't deserve and yes, we have seen into the hearts of many wonder women and men at this gathering place.  

I just pretty much dress Talbots cause they fit and are like Granamals!  Woman Embarassed Along with choice pieces and elastic waist pants from here!  LOL!!!  And a closet full of loafers!  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG Thanks for the kind words I don't deserve and yes, we have seen into the hearts of many wonder women and men at this gathering place.  

I just pretty much dress Talbots cause they fit and are like Granamals!  Woman Embarassed Along with choice pieces and elastic waist pants from here!  LOL!!!  And a closet full of loafers!  

@Sooner 

Luv ya much GF!!!!!

Fun Tea Party Games for Kids – The Lake Manor