Honored Contributor

Re: The Coastal Grandmother Look

My style is big shirts and duster length jackets with shells underneath. Most are from Susan Graver, Quacker Factory and D&Co. Let's call it  "carries extra weight and wants to cover her behind".😃

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

Just be happy, Beautiful!!!

I dress so many ladies and tell them that!

Honored Contributor

The only time this beach Nana has dressed in off white linens was for a professional photographer.  Otherwise, I only wear it to go out to eat or visit someone's home.

Black is my go to base color, be it bathing suits or walking the the beach. 

My tops are usually Columbia SPF shirts (long sleeved) in vibrant colors such as sunlight yellow, melon or coral, to lime green.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG @Very true! I was reading Passage Des Perles blog today, calling the style "The Intentional Auntie" wherein the author made your point, too.

To me, it looks like dressing with the "third piece". Many women dress this way, and companies such as Eileen Fisher, Marla Wynne & Chicos come to mind as makers who market this style well.

Honored Contributor

Odd that so many grandmothers are delighted to be grandmothers and so afraid of looking like one.  Whatever that is. . . 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Odd that so many grandmothers are delighted to be grandmothers and so afraid of looking like one.  Whatever that is. . . 

@Sooner 

I wish someone would explain to me what a grandmother look is.  I am one and still wear the same styles I have worn for years.  Jeans, sweatshirts, tee shirts, simple classics like Talbots.  I just don't get it.

Honored Contributor

Which "coast" would that be?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner 

Being a grandmother is SO much love and joy but I think those ladies are still the same person inside who wants to look their best.  

Esteemed Contributor

I've always loved the way Diane Keaton looks and dresses. So I've kinda tried to copy her style often over the years. This coastal grandma look has been discussed on various TV programs and publications. I see lots of pastels and denim, not just khaki. It suits me just fine since it's how I usually dress anyway. Someone gave it a name.

I dress the way I always did even tho I'm a grandma. Are we supposed to change our style after our children have babies?
* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

How To Shop The 'Coastal Grandmother' Trend | Marie Claire Australia