Honored Contributor

The Coastal Grandmother Look

I'm just hearing about this. I guess it's a current trend that reflects the fashion choices of Martha Stewart, Ina Garten, and Diane Keaton's look in Something's Gotta Give.

There are a lot of articles about this trend too. The fashion are neutral, a lot of beiges, creams, khakis, etc. The clothes seem to be what I would call beach style.

I love beach style anything, but I also love color, so I guess this wouldn't be my choice.

Now the trend is spilling over into the decorating world. 

Coastal grandmothers have an anthem too- "This Will Be" by Natalie Cole.

What do you think? Is your style Coastal Grandmother?  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: The Coastal Grandmother Look

Defintely not.  Nor any other kind of "grandmother" look.  

Respected Contributor

I could do some beach style.  I like neutrals, particularly creams and khaki. I'm not one for color anyway.

Honored Contributor

Pantsuit / Jumpsuit 3 Piece Suit Mother of the Bride Dress Plus Size Elegant Bateau Neck Floor Length Chiffon Sleeveless with Lace 2022

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I don't care for neutral anything, not home decor, not clothing.  I have every color of pants in the spectrum but no khaki.  It just doesn't do anything for my colorful tops.  Blah.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have never heard the term "coastal grandmother look" and I am a professional stylist.

The look you showed has a beautiful look. but most women having gone through the "Big M"  find they don't look slim.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG - I just heard of it yesterday. Apparently it started with TikTok, which I never watch. But it's out there. Google it; I'd like to know what you think!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

No grandmother, coastal or not, would wear a white outfit around her grandchildren. That all-white get-up is a no-no. Same for being on the coast. I grew up in a beach town and one thing you needed to do is hide the sand.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I have never heard the term "coastal grandmother look" and I am a professional stylist.

The look you showed has a beautiful look. but most women having gone through the "Big M"  find they don't look slim.

@ECBG One of the big things of being old that I really am enjoying, and there are many aspects I relish, is I no longer live in the days when I worried too much about whether I looked slim or not.  Why on earth would I now?

I'll think about what is a waste of time rather than worry because my waist is no longer slim.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ina Garten buys her oversized shirts from Eileen Fisher, Talbot's, and Lands End. She says they are like her uniform, and she either buys blue denim or brown corduroy in bulk to wear while she is working. She said she doesn't have to think, and the wash loads are easy.

She said she does not dress that way in the evening. She likes to get dressed up.