Esteemed Contributor

Re: The $51,000 D&G Floral Coat

Soooo much jealously. Seriously.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Trusted Contributor

I can appreciate the workmanship and artistry of her clothing as well as how well she wears the clothes. The outfit she wore for the inauguration was stunning. I agree that the jacket is a work of art and understand why it cost so much.  It's her money and she can spend it in anyway that she wishes.

KittyLouWhoToo,

I agree with your comments about the manner in which people use the term "class," often as a substitute for something opposite another person. What they want to say is something perjorative.  Instead  comments such as these: e.g. "Melania has a lot of class, " "she has finally brought class to the White House," etc., signifies the intent was to disparage her predecessor.  What she seems to have is training in manners/protocol, nothing else that is outstanding based on the information which we can access. She spewed many of the same lies as her husband in interviews.  That, did not indicate "class."

What is so amusing to me is the comment about her "intellect." On what basis is that comment made? (you didn't make this comment but others have)

I would say that some of the fashions she wore reflected her taste and, perhaps, were more suitable for a cocktail party, an entertainment event, or a gala. The breasts exposed in the spouses' picture was, IMO, inappropriate. Similarly, in Saudi Arabia, she wore a sleeveless blouse or top with her arms exposed in a room full of men.  That was quite inappropriate in much the same was as Michele Obama was criticized for deigning to touch the Queen of England.

Trusted Contributor

You can find a similar swim cap for $22.00 on the Vermont Country Store site.

Honored Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

Looks like something you could buy at KMart....

@KatieB  Then please do go ahead a show us a photo of something similar from KMart.   Otherwise, I'm not believing that for one moment.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@BARBIE100 wrote:

WOW! So much jealousy on this thread. Smiley Embarassed

Disagreeing with someone else's opinion does not indicate jealousy.  It's perfectly possible to simply not like something without there being such a superficial and ridiculous reason.

@NYC Susan  That's true.  But it's the posters who are making judgments and moral implications about how to better spend the money whose posts indicate jealousy to me.  Otherwise yes, I agree with you.  It seems like if they only had that kind of money, they wouldn't be so quick to condemn.

Trusted Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@BARBIE100 wrote:

WOW! So much jealousy on this thread. Smiley Embarassed

Disagreeing with someone else's opinion does not indicate jealousy.  It's perfectly possible to simply not like something without there being such a superficial and ridiculous reason.

I agree, but I still see jealousy in some of these posts.

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Respected Contributor

Valued Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I did not realize that Trump wore this coat.  Nothing like throwing money in your face.  A lot of people don't make $50,000 in one year!  Cat Very Happy

I read only 13 pages of this thread and that was enough for me to see the undertone.

Women just can't stay on topic and leave it at that. If this thread was about a coat, then one only need say yes, it's gorgeous, or no, I don't like it but no, of course not. gotta let all those biases come through. 

I never understood hating someone enough to find a way to put them down for simple things ,like clothing. Calling her Trump is indeed a put down and disrespectful to anyone, let alone a First Lady.

She can spend her money any way she wants. Just like posters jump on other posters here who say they would never spend that kind of money on.... and the response is always MYOB, I make enough money to buy what I want...

Comments about giving that money to charity again are just digs and slams. Does anyone ask you that question when you buy an expensive car instead of just a basic reliable one? Why not pay $15,000 for a used car instead of $60,000 for a Cadillac and give $45,000 to charity? 

When the Queen of England goes to important affairs she wears millions and millions of dollars of jeweled crowns and other jewelry, does anyone remark that the poor people of England are struggling and she should sell her crown and give the money to them?

If FLOTUS decided to wear a garment in Italy made by Italian designers, she may have been paying homage to their heritage. So what? People are always griping about wearing things Made in USA on these vry boards.

Honestly, a day doesn't go by that someone doesnt have to slam another person, and from what I see it;s usually women slamming other women. 

As for the coat, if D&G gave me one just like it, I'd wear it in a heartbeat. It's one of a kind, not cookie cutter and I like things that are totally unique and unexpected. 

Respected Contributor

@PinkSunset

articulate and well said.

Valued Contributor

@PinkSunset wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

I did not realize that Trump wore this coat.  Nothing like throwing money in your face.  A lot of people don't make $50,000 in one year!  Cat Very Happy

I read only 13 pages of this thread and that was enough for me to see the undertone.

Women just can't stay on topic and leave it at that. If this thread was about a coat, then one only need say yes, it's gorgeous, or no, I don't like it but no, of course not. gotta let all those biases come through. 

I never understood hating someone enough to find a way to put them down for simple things ,like clothing. Calling her Trump is indeed a put down and disrespectful to anyone, let alone a First Lady.

She can spend her money any way she wants. Just like posters jump on other posters here who say they would never spend that kind of money on.... and the response is always MYOB, I make enough money to buy what I want...

Comments about giving that money to charity again are just digs and slams. Does anyone ask you that question when you buy an expensive car instead of just a basic reliable one? Why not pay $15,000 for a used car instead of $60,000 for a Cadillac and give $45,000 to charity? 

When the Queen of England goes to important affairs she wears millions and millions of dollars of jeweled crowns and other jewelry, does anyone remark that the poor people of England are struggling and she should sell her crown and give the money to them?

If FLOTUS decided to wear a garment in Italy made by Italian designers, she may have been paying homage to their heritage. So what? People are always griping about wearing things Made in USA on these vry boards.

Honestly, a day doesn't go by that someone doesnt have to slam another person, and from what I see it;s usually women slamming other women. 

As for the coat, if D&G gave me one just like it, I'd wear it in a heartbeat. It's one of a kind, not cookie cutter and I like things that are totally unique and unexpected. 

Thank you for the great on point post!! Smiley Happy