Honored Contributor

Re: That is just another fanny pack!

And a lot of places now are banning regular bags and backpacks, so a fanny pack allows you to take what you need without hassle.

I'm with those of you who don't care what "fashion statement" I'm making.  If you don't like it, look away.

Respected Contributor

I don't get the fanny pack-hate.  

Some things are meant to be more utilitarian rather than fashionable.  

Why does everything have to be judged?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I guess I consider a fanny pack to be a very practical item to have when out sightseeing or at a amusement park or a county fair.  I am looking for practical application not a fashion statement and really don't care if I am making a fashion statement or not.  There are times when practical trumps looks.

Yes to this! I choose my bags based on what's practical and if I can get one that also looks nice, I'm really happy. I go out to events to register voters and I need to carry all kinds of materials and clipboards with me. Sometimes even a crossbody bag gets in the way or causes problems, but a bag I can wear on my waist does not.

They're also my preferred bag for going out walking or hiking. I need a bag for my ID, asthma inhaler, iPhone, keys, and earbuds. I don't want to take a handbag for that, but a belt bag is perfect. And just because I'm wearing a belt bag doesn't meant I want it to be ugly.

Respected Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I guess I consider a fanny pack to be a very practical item to have when out sightseeing or at a amusement park or a county fair.  I am looking for practical application not a fashion statement and really don't care if I am making a fashion statement or not.  There are times when practical trumps looks.

It is a practical item. A fanny-pack is a good option for anyone who needs to have medical supplies on-hand at all times. People with allergies and other medical issues need access to their medicine at all times.

It is also a good option for caregivers assisting others.

Honored Contributor

Practical trumps looks...White House dinner...haha...coded political statements during a fanny pack discussion... About that fanny pack....insider insult or am I being silly.

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

I don't like them.

@bri20

i really prefer to use a crossbody bag or sometimes a backpack. i dont think i have ever owned a "fanny pack" style of bag.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

G.I.L.I. has her beat - A276577  $99 for a FANNY PACK

@darlight wrote:

How can they  remember the old days with the "awful fanny packs?"

Sorry this is a fanny pack in leather and it's the same bulky bag around the waist look.

Why are they saying this is so clever and new? 

Of all the things you can sell Qvc..I wonder who picks what goes on the air..

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

@KathyPet

ITA .....  I don't care what you call them, but most "carry alls" are utilitarian ..... fanny packs, cross over bags, back packs, belt bags, book bags .... whatever name they have .... NONE of them are going to be accessories for formal attire!  

I don't understand why some people get so huffy over accessories designed to CARRY our necessities! 

Honored Contributor

I take issue with the name.  Really, it's more of a F.U.P.A. pack, or fupack.  Cat Indifferent

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I started using a back pack years ago so that I could carry my basics and my husband's medical supplies when I took him on small trips and his med appts out of town.  I had to keep both hands free to lift him into his wheelchair and to push it.    Now I use it when I go to events or walks to keep my camera, drink and snack.  I use a small crossbody w/matching lg tote for craft and flea markets.  Growing up my mother used a fanny pack.