Honored Contributor

Re: Target shoppers -- an observation and a complaint

@stevieb wrote:

About the seeming operational decline of some Target locations, some of it is store management and some of it is corporate policy. I was told by one of the pharmacy staff at my local store, who was a holdover from when CVS took over the Target pharmacy operation, that 'corporate' had essentially created two tiers of stores: those that are higher volume and those that aren't. The higher volume stores ostensibly are still stocked overnight and more regularly, while the customers at lower volume stores 'enjoy' shelves that are often poorly stocked and aisles that are often blocked by those stocking them during normal business hours... My local Target must be a lower volume store and I don't enjoy shopping there as much as I used to. I think it's also a smaller store, so doesn't get some of the good merchandise others do. They made a big deal out of a recent modest 'redecoration', but as far as I'm concerned, they should have saved their money and focused on what really matters: well stocked shelves and a variety of merchandise. If anything, I think some areas actually offer less variety since the 'redecoration'... Perhaps one day retailers will realize that smoke and mirrors just don't work in the absence of substance...

@stevieb 

Thank you for a very informative post.  That must be what has happened to the Target here.  I know they used to stock at night because I knew people who used to do it.  But haven't heard of that for awhile.  And yes, for the more high end merchandise --- I would see it on t.v. -- go to look for it --- and never found it!  When you have few stores to shop in, you find yourself making use of the stores which you are not particularly happy with!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  Perhaps you should call the store and speak to the manager or send an email.  I was at my Target yesterday and there were only 2 cashiers open and more people starting checking out so the person in charge of watching the cashier lines called for someone and they did not come right away and she told me to step over to the other line and she checked me out.  I call that excellent customer service.

@Katcat1 

You are right -- that is excellent customer service!  This is what USED to happen in our local store.  

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I don't think the self-checkout lines are there to be an advantage to the customer. The management is cutting back on hiring this way.

I find it slow going either way especially since so many people now bring dozens of small fabric bags that take forever to load, arrange, re-arrange, try to fit everything in and then come up short and try again. 

We have a few mom & pop, mostly veggie based, more farm stand type food stores that also carry all the basic groceries...not chain stores. They're very environmentally conscious and do not provide bags. You have to bring your own bags. 

@Shanus 

For a long time, I would not use self check-out because I thought -- I do not want to aid in taking people's jobs away.  And also I thought, well, I am paying for my products and a service, so they can at least bag my things up.  Now --- there seem to be more and more self check-out and less and less real cashiers.  If that is the case, which it definitely is, then we, as consumers, should see a big decrease in prices!  HA --- yeah, right!  Yes, then, we are all expected to bring our own bags.  I know one grocery store which was advertising on t.v. recently is saying we will no longer use plastic bags (which I understand for the environment) but they are charging for paper bags.  Really??  They can't even provide paper bags?  I think this is really being greedy and cheap.  

@AngelPuppy1  Once it becomes a universal practice to self check-out, bring your own bags or pay extra for theirs, as the saying goes, "They have the ball". We'll have no choice at that point unless we want to move to a farm, have a garden to grow our own veggies and raise animals for food. Canned goods? 

Honored Contributor

I want to thank everyone who has posted -- I appreciate your comments and sharing your experiences.  If I missed responding to anyone, it was not intentonal!  

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I don't think the self-checkout lines are there to be an advantage to the customer. The management is cutting back on hiring this way.

I find it slow going either way especially since so many people now bring dozens of small fabric bags that take forever to load, arrange, re-arrange, try to fit everything in and then come up short and try again. 

We have a few mom & pop, mostly veggie based, more farm stand type food stores that also carry all the basic groceries...not chain stores. They're very environmentally conscious and do not provide bags. You have to bring your own bags. 

@Shanus 

For a long time, I would not use self check-out because I thought -- I do not want to aid in taking people's jobs away.  And also I thought, well, I am paying for my products and a service, so they can at least bag my things up.  Now --- there seem to be more and more self check-out and less and less real cashiers.  If that is the case, which it definitely is, then we, as consumers, should see a big decrease in prices!  HA --- yeah, right!  Yes, then, we are all expected to bring our own bags.  I know one grocery store which was advertising on t.v. recently is saying we will no longer use plastic bags (which I understand for the environment) but they are charging for paper bags.  Really??  They can't even provide paper bags?  I think this is really being greedy and cheap.  

@AngelPuppy1  Once it becomes a universal practice to self check-out, bring your own bags or pay extra for theirs, as the saying goes, "They have the ball". We'll have no choice at that point unless we want to move to a farm, have a garden to grow our own veggies and raise animals for food. Canned goods? 

@Shanus 

That's about it!  I think I get kind of cranky when I feel people are always "pulling my chain", if you will!  It's always --- well, this is how it is --- so get used to it..... 

Trusted Contributor

@MezzieStarr : I did not realize that. Whenever I've been asked if I want to sign up for red card for the 5% they never mention the credit card option. Wonder if that's new. 
Thank you for that information. We would never apply for the credit card but I'm not comfortable with them linking the 5% to our checking account

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1. An apology is not necessary.  The point is, you need to notify corporate headquarters of your dissatisfaction.   People often complain here about XYZ Corp. and assume it's taken care of.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

About the seeming operational decline of some Target locations, some of it is store management and some of it is corporate policy. I was told by one of the pharmacy staff at my local store, who was a holdover from when CVS took over the Target pharmacy operation, that 'corporate' had essentially created two tiers of stores: those that are higher volume and those that aren't. The higher volume stores ostensibly are still stocked overnight and more regularly, while the customers at lower volume stores 'enjoy' shelves that are often poorly stocked and aisles that are often blocked by those stocking them during normal business hours... My local Target must be a lower volume store and I don't enjoy shopping there as much as I used to. I think it's also a smaller store, so doesn't get some of the good merchandise others do. They made a big deal out of a recent modest 'redecoration', but as far as I'm concerned, they should have saved their money and focused on what really matters: well stocked shelves and a variety of merchandise. If anything, I think some areas actually offer less variety since the 'redecoration'... Perhaps one day retailers will realize that smoke and mirrors just don't work in the absence of substance...

@stevieb  Thanks for this explanation.  I've experienced the same things that you describe; my closest Target is a smaller, older one and doesn't get the traffic that the large ones do.  They completed a renovation this past fall, but I've noticed since then how frequently many itmes are out of stock.  But I will continue to shop there for the convenience of it, since it's the store closest to me to do a quick run.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sadiesadie wrote:

@MezzieStarr : I did not realize that. Whenever I've been asked if I want to sign up for red card for the 5% they never mention the credit card option. Wonder if that's new. 
Thank you for that information. We would never apply for the credit card but I'm not comfortable with them linking the 5% to our checking account

@Sadiesadie  I've had the Target Red Card debit card and have used it with no problems for several years.  I get 5% off of my purchases and free shipping.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1. An apology is not necessary.  The point is, you need to notify corporate headquarters of your dissatisfaction.   People often complain here about XYZ Corp. and assume it's taken care of.

@Kachina624 

Yes, very true. Also ---I guess at times it just feels good to get it off your chest -- and also to commiserate.