Honored Contributor

Re: Target shoppers -- an observation and a complaint

@Sadiesadie wrote:

@violann : The Red Card isn't a credit card. How could they lower the limit on your personal credit card? Strange.

Our store is a pleasure to shop in. We have no complaints.

@Sadiesadie 

I guess chains are different in different areas.  Some are good and some not so good.  Ours was good for a long time.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Denise in PA wrote:

I work in such an environment and I can tell you this is the new way of cutting costs.  We have cut hours of cashiers and the company is SAVING MONEY, which is the bottom line for retail.  Such a shame!  We get complaints daily but can do very little to change the situation.   On-line shopping has helped create this situation. Brick and mortar suffers.

@Denise in PA 

It's kind of like --- which came first -- the chicken or the egg?  People shop on-line partly because of lack of service, and there is lack of service because people shop on-line!  

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I don't think the self-checkout lines are there to be an advantage to the customer. The management is cutting back on hiring this way.

I find it slow going either way especially since so many people now bring dozens of small fabric bags that take forever to load, arrange, re-arrange, try to fit everything in and then come up short and try again. 

We have a few mom & pop, mostly veggie based, more farm stand type food stores that also carry all the basic groceries...not chain stores. They're very environmentally conscious and do not provide bags. You have to bring your own bags. 

@Shanus 

For a long time, I would not use self check-out because I thought -- I do not want to aid in taking people's jobs away.  And also I thought, well, I am paying for my products and a service, so they can at least bag my things up.  Now --- there seem to be more and more self check-out and less and less real cashiers.  If that is the case, which it definitely is, then we, as consumers, should see a big decrease in prices!  HA --- yeah, right!  Yes, then, we are all expected to bring our own bags.  I know one grocery store which was advertising on t.v. recently is saying we will no longer use plastic bags (which I understand for the environment) but they are charging for paper bags.  Really??  They can't even provide paper bags?  I think this is really being greedy and cheap.  

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  I'm sorry to hear you are frustrated with Target. I recently had an issue with a product (valued at $10.00) I ordered for pick-up.  Ironically I received an email survey for that same pick-up.

I completed that survey providing honest, constructive feedback. A few days later I received an email from the store manager apologizing and requesting my name and address. Within another few days I received a thank you card for my business and an apology and gift card for my trouble. I would urge you to contact your store manager to share your concerns. You might be pleasantly surprised. 

I am a Target fan--I live in the same city as their headquarters. Our stores are very nice and while my neighborhood store is medium sized, the big Target I also shop probably has 20 stations for self checkout divided between opposite ends of the store so there are never long lines. Truthfully big box type stores are anxiety-creating to me. When I have been with my husband and we need something from Home Depot or Menards I cannot wait to escape. Walmart is not even on my radar. I fear I will get lost in Ikea--seriously they have arrows on the floor much like breadcrumbs so we can find our way back. 

The only box store I can tolerate and actually like is Target. I hope you get some resolution to your issues with Target or have a viable alternative that provides an enjoyable shopping experience.

@magicmoodz 

That's great that you got remunerated and acknowledged for something unpleasant which occurred!  I don't really like large stores either.  

Honored Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

Our local Target is extremely clean, bright/well lit and has fairly large aisles.  I appreciate those things but I rarely shop there as their clothing lines just don't appeal to me and the sizing is extremely inconsistant.  Their food items and cleaning supplies are far more expensive so I shop for those items elsewhere.  Their home goods department is fairly decent.  When I redid my living room last summer, I was able to find somel decorative items that fit in with my new color scheme.

@shoptilyadropagain 

The store is clean and has some nice things.  Some of their food items and cosmetics are very decently priced.  But the service is what I am not happy with.  

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

I hear you all

Target isn't my favorite store, and but they do have more colors in my favorite shoes I got last spring so I will be ordering more of them

their online ordering is extremely quick tho 

and because you all want to knowgot the black and grey last year, got compliments everywhere (in true Q style) going to get more colors this spring 

@jackthebear 

Thanks for your reply.  I could not see the picture that you posted though.

Honored Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

My Target sounds similar to the way OP described hers.  My store usually had just 1 or 2 cashiers working. The self check outs usually have several shoppers waiting to use them.  Parking can be challenging but I prefer to park farther away and walk.  Yes, they stock the shelves, too.  I don't expect the store and parking lot to be empty just for my convenience.

I go with the flow and shop Target all the same.  They have a large kids clothing dept. and I pick up cute items for my grandkids if something catches my eye.  I also get my prescriptions there.  The store is close to me so that is a big plus.

@PinkyPetunia 

Nothing is perfect.  But I think this place is really slipping!  I don't mind walking a bit either, but boy, there are days, the parking lot is just jam packed and when you have issues, it's a bit hard to deal with.  

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 

I don't think this experience is unique to Target.

As a retiree, I have the luxury of going to any store whenever I want.

However, I have found that unless I'm in a store when it opens or shortly thereafter, the lines are insufferable.  

It used to be that during the week any time you could get in and out of any store quickly.  Now, I think many stores have cut back staff and there are just a lot of folks out and about all day every day.

Like today, I wanted to go to Walmart, but couldn't get out of the house before now, so I'll go another day.

By this time of the morning, the parking lot and store are just too crowded for my taste.

I don't have the patience it requires to shop a crowded store.

@Witchy Woman 

You're probably right. I don't have many stores to pick from.  Now that I am retired, I am moving at a much slower speed and don't seem to be able to get to Target and Walmart really early.  These are probably better options early a.m. 

Honored Contributor

@peachesncream wrote:

Our local Target is the same - one check out line most evenings (which is when I'm apt to be there). Self checkout also has lines. I used to be able to get in and out of Target quickly. 

I find that I go there less and less.

@peachesncream 

I wish they would try and be more accommodating.  Maybe have a couple of the "stockers" available so when they see the lines are becoming long, call 1 or 2 of them over for awhile to handle the overflow.  

Honored Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

The lack of open cash register lines and the proliferation of self-checkouts everywhere is the direct result of the $15/hr minimum wage laws which have taken effect in many states. Robots don't get $15/hr and they never call in sick.

@Buffalogal47 

Yes, for sure!