Honored Contributor

Re: Target shoppers -- an observation and a complaint

@eadu4 wrote:

The Red Card is linked to your checking account.  In order to get one you have to fill in your account number.  It is not different from state to state. It is the same.  Their policies are the same.   Use is only limited to the amount of  money in your account at the time.  There is no "credit limit" as this is not and never has been a "credit card".   The Red Card is just like your debit card except is is store specific in only being able to use at Target.  It is not in any way shape or manner a credit card.  It's a debit card, and it is linked to your account.  The only way you can't use it is if you have insuffiecient funds in your account in the bank.  Your account is debited the amount that day for what you spend.  Go back and buy a candy bar and then check your account, you will see your account debited for that amount.   Find the paperwork you filled out or go to customer service they will explain it to you.  It's pretty clear when you fill out the paperwork.   They have the card to help them follow  your purchases and tailor advertising and coupons to your specific shopping habits.  The 5% was the incentive to have you use it rather than your debit card and allow them to monitor your spending habits with them.   I   

Thank you for your detailed input.

My card says CREDIT CARD on it, there WAS a CREDIT LIMIT, and within the past year or two, it was used in the store where I got it.

You obviously speak from a specific fund of experience, @eadu4, but it is DEFINITELY NOT what I am describing. I appreciate the time you took to post. I carry my card at all times because I can, and do use it in the CVS in the local Target. 

When I have the time (2023?) I plan to go to our local store to find out why I am holding an active CREDIT CARD and being told by obviously well informed online communicators who say I'm not. 

I will report......

Esteemed Contributor

@eaduard. I just fished my Target card out of my wallet and it even says "credit" on the face of it. Funds are not deducted from my bank account as I make purchases, but rather I get a monthly bill.

While you might have a Target debit card, many of us have Target credit cards. 

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  I just had a thought. When you are pressed for time have you considered ordering your purchases online and picking up your packages at the Customer Service desk?  I do this on occasion when in a hurry. Orders are guaranteed to be ready in 2 hours, but honestly sometimes my orders are ready in 15-20 minutes. A plus is there is dedicated parking close to the store entrance (works great in bad weather). Another plus is there aren't lines at the CS desk.

For all those who like to complain about self-checkout eliminating jobs, please remember those jobs are now in the form of employees who are going around the store doing our shopping for us so all we have to do is a pick-up. Most all grocery stores are now offering this service.

Honored Contributor

My Red Card is a credit card, not linked to my bank account. I get a statement each month and pay it online. 

A person can get a Red Debit Card that works like any other debit card and is linked to the person's bank account. Both the Red Credit and the Red Debit get the 5% discount.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

I understand your frustration regarding checkout and stockers. I’ve experienced the same thing at my Target. 

My biggest gripe is when they remodeled my store last year, they removed many established beauty and skin care brands for more boutique like products that cost more. Even if they kept the brand, they drastically reduced the inventory and variety of products in the brand. I can’t find some of my products there anymore. 👎🏻

I’ve had to go to Meijer, Walgreens, or WalMart to find those products. 

Trusted Contributor

@violann : Yes, someone corrected me shortly after I posted that. Learn something new every day.

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  I just had a thought. When you are pressed for time have you considered ordering your purchases online and picking up your packages at the Customer Service desk?  I do this on occasion when in a hurry. Orders are guaranteed to be ready in 2 hours, but honestly sometimes my orders are ready in 15-20 minutes. A plus is there is dedicated parking close to the store entrance (works great in bad weather). Another plus is there aren't lines at the CS desk.

For all those who like to complain about self-checkout eliminating jobs, please remember those jobs are now in the form of employees who are going around the store doing our shopping for us so all we have to do is a pick-up. Most all grocery stores are now offering this service.

@magicmoodz 

No.  I never considered that.  I like to shop for real and sometimes I don't even know what I am going to buy.  I have a couple things I want and the rest are just things I find by coming across them.  That is something to think about though.  Thanks! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 

I understand your frustration regarding checkout and stockers. I’ve experienced the same thing at my Target. 

My biggest gripe is when they remodeled my store last year, they removed many established beauty and skin care brands for more boutique like products that cost more. Even if they kept the brand, they drastically reduced the inventory and variety of products in the brand. I can’t find some of my products there anymore. 👎🏻

I’ve had to go to Meijer, Walgreens, or WalMart to find those products. 

@wilma 

Yes, in trying to keep up or be trendy, unfortunately some things go by the way side!  Same here! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

If there is so many inconvenience at the Target store, why go in the store?  They offer delivery.  Most stores do.  Though some charge a fee.  I don't happen to shop at Target, but it seems I rarely go in to stores anymore.  All my grocery is delivered free though Amazon.  But I also shop elsewhere for everything else...online.