Honored Contributor

Re: Target Vineyard Vines Collection

@beach-mom ....I wonder why Target allows that behavior...it seems to be an unfair practice.

Regular Contributor

Epic fail ... from a customer who wanted to buy a few cute clothes!  Stuff released online in the middle of night and things were literally "bought right from under you" ... while you put things in your cart and continued to look at other items, they literally disappared out of your cart and were then "sold out".  Got up early, chased thru 3 stores and came up empty handed.  Some employees said customers raced in and picked up ALL of one item ... swooped in and grabbed all of the pink sweatshirts no matter the size.  Not cool Target ... splashy ads + ridiculously limited merchandise + no rules = many unhappy customers.  What a waste of my time and energy.

Honored Contributor

@bluehydrangea I completely forgot about it, had considered getting one small item. Glad I didn't even try.

Target shouldn't allow that. It brings traffic onto their site and into their stores, that's all they care about I guess.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Esteemed Contributor

It's hard to understand why any retailer would pull this kind of stunt again and again.  I don't think any of these lines show up a second time.

Perhaps, Target does not suffer any consequences in the long run and get lots of buzz up front.  Those that get everything in a clean sweep then sell it on eBay or elsewhere. 

I've gotten past the point of waiting on line for ANYTHING, or running from store to store, so they lost me long ago.

But, I still find it annoying!

Valued Contributor

I went to Target on Saturday, to pick up some dog food. I had no prior knowledge of the Vineyard Vine Collection. I purchased a dog collar for my Chihuahua and Basset Hound.

I also purchased a beautiful quilted (28x40) for my preemie reborn doll for $24.00. The dog collars were 7 and $14.

I did notice that the store was rathered crowded at 8 a.m. in the morning, usually it is not. Sunday morning while checking the news on my iPad, the store was sold out of all the vine yard items, from beach attire and several other accessories. The article stated that people had bought up the items and wasn't now selling on eBay.So I checked it out, the baby quilt was sailing from $50 to $40.00.Items that I looked at while in the  store were selling 2 to 3 times higher then Target.

Having never heard of the company I decided to check online and look at their prices.Yes (to me)  their items are expensive. The clothing not my style, the handbags I would never pay that price.The the baby quilt was a bargain, because to make it would have been more. Would I have purchased these items from their online store, no.The quilt was not offered in Vineyard store.

In my opinion online items  should only have been offered 2 to 4 hours after the store opening.Or limiting online and store purchases. That aside there's always going to be some who will be ahead of the game. As for me, who did not have a clue until after the fact. While the items I saw were nice only the dog items interested me,along with the baby quilt.

Trusted Contributor

I had never heard of this line; from the photos posted here, it is not appealing to me.  Too nautical and preppy for me.

I do think Target needs to put limits on purchases for these specialty lines they promote and sell.

Esteemed Contributor

I like that Target in theory does this capsule collections. However unless you are camped out the night before all the good stuff is gone with no restocking. I fell for it twice, Missoni and Lily Pulitzer. Just a big tease.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

NOT the same quality!

My daughter wears Lilly P and when Target introduced that line, I was psyched! As soon as I saw and touched the fabric, I knew why the pricing was so inexpensive. I would prefer to keep buying the real thing from Lilly P and from VV. 

Honored Contributor

everything was sold out online and in the stores in our area as soon as it was launched....I think there was maybe one dog toy left....