Super Contributor

Talbots and coldwater creek question

Hi Fashion Girls,

If you like Talbots/Coldwater Creek or have tried both brands- can you tell me if the sizing is similar, and the quality?

I buy my Talbots clothes at the end of the season and get free shipping and free returns to a local store -which helps a lot. I would not get that perk at Coldwater. I do see a few things in the new catalog I got that make me want to try it. ( velour dress for one, wear to convenience store)

thank you

donna

Honored Contributor

Re: Talbots and coldwater creek question

I buy Coldwater Creek frequently and fit is always good.  Their clothes last forever.   I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Neither I (nor my sister) can wear Talbots' clothing.  The cut reminds me of Jones NY or Linea or Mizrahi or Nina Leonard.  I can't wear those either.

So - I don't know about the Talbots quality.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most of my tops and sweaters are from Talbots. Their loyalty rewards, their promos and sales, and the fact that I can return locally are important to me.

I think that I may have looked at Coldwater Creek on line, but apparently, I was not particularly wowed.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

I get catalogs from both companies but Coldwater Creek makes me crazy. Every time - and I mean every single time - I’ve tried to order something in the past year, the item was already sold out the day the catalog was delivered.

Respected Contributor

Given the choice betweent the two, I'd choose Talbot's every time. 

I tried several things from Coldwater Creek when they had a store in the mall near me, but the styles didn't suit me, and I thought the fabrics and quality from Talbots were far superior. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Talbots is VERY high quality.  CC is slightly less in my experience.  I taught clothing, Textiles, and Design.  I would always pick Talbots first over a CC item.

Honored Contributor

Not only do I think Talbot's offers higher end design but better quality fabric.  However, there is nothing wrong with Coldwater Creek except they use a lot, a lot, a lot of polyester and I mean polyester in the big way.  They do, however, from time to time, have some nice polyesters.  Just be aware that if you like Talbot's a whole lot, you will like CC a little less.

Honored Contributor

I miss having a Talbots store in my area.  I always look for one when I travel out of town. 

Talbots sizing is true to size for me.  Coldwater Creek clothing runs large...it's more like qvc sizing.  

Respected Contributor

In the past few years, I have noticed a steep decline in Talbot's quality and workmanship.  Inconsistent sizing, sleeves and pattern not matching.  Buttons falling off etc.

I will only buy things on sale there now.

Coldwater creek has fair quality sizing is a little bigger, more generous cuts.

Talbots pants I find are better for those more straight up and down.  I am tiny but have a little waist and curvy hips even their 0 curvy size is too big in the waist by several inches.

Honored Contributor

@donna71 

I have bought from both stores. CC sizing & cuts IMO are more generous than Talbots. I have quality items from both that I like. I always look at garment details closely before buying regardless of store or band.