Honored Contributor

Talbots Dispute Update

[ Edited ]

I love Talbots clothes, but I am not a happy customer right now. Here’s my story....

I bought one pair of shorts in their store but got billed for 2 pairs of the same short. I called CS, and a very nice lady listened to my complaint. I thought she was going to take care of it, but instead she told me she recorded my complaint, and it would be investigated.

I am a bit offended that an investigation is required. When the Q, Macy’s, & Chadwick’s made errors in the past regarding my orders or accounts, the CS rep on the phone took care of it immediately. It may have taken a couple of months to see credits on my bills, but there was no investigation.

I just received a letter from Talbots saying they had received my complaint and an investigation would be conducted. Seems like a lot of paperwork and trouble. Is the Talbots investigator going to talk to someone at the store? Do they actually think a salesperson would remember the transaction or even admit to their own error? 

I realize they can’t take everyone’s word, but I have never made a complaint before, and I always pay my bill in full promptly. I already sent them a check for the one pair I purchased. Aren’t they a bit concerned about offending a loyal shopper? 

I know there are other Talbot shoppers on this forum. Have any of you had a complaint investigated by Talbots? Is this common practice for them? 

Honored Contributor

If you bought them in the actual brick and mortar store, didn't you realize that your total was higher than anticipated when you were checking out?

Sorry, it's your own fault.

Respected Contributor

If you have a Talbots card with them call and ask for the supervisor.  Threaten to cut your card up, if you don’t receive a prompt credit.  Too bad they treated you this way.  You can also go talk to a manager at the store and see if she can’t help you.  I have noticed their quality is lacking again and their clothes are too expensive for shoddy merchandise. Hope you get this resolved soon. 

Honored Contributor

A few months ago, I bought a pair of jeans at the store. The sales associate and I were yapping and she scanned them twice by mistake.  I’d also purchased a few other items and I didn’t notice.

The next day, I was putting the receipt away and noticed the error. I called customer service, but they suggested I call the store. I did and they credited my account while I was on the phone with them.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

If you bought them in the actual brick and mortar store, didn't you realize that your total was higher than anticipated when you were checking out?

Sorry. It’s Talbots fault.  She didn’t ring them up on her own. Besides they are really good about wrapping your receipt tightly into the clothing and into a bag.  Have you never shopped with them before?

Honored Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

If you have a Talbots card with them call and ask for the supervisor.  Threaten to cut your card up, if you don’t receive a prompt credit.  Too bad they treated you this way.  You can also go talk to a manager at the store and see if she can’t help you.  I have noticed their quality is lacking again and their clothes are too expensive for shoddy merchandise. Hope you get this resolved soon. 

@GSPgirl 

I probably will call and threaten to cut the card up if their investigation concludes I must pay. 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@CelticCrafter 

I am willing to accept part blame for not looking at the receipt until I got the bill and realized it was incorrect. Definitely learned my lesson there. Talbots always puts the receipt in my bag though. The clerk also quoted the price to me as my card was swiped, and the price she said was definitely for only one pair. 

Honored Contributor

@wilma 

Please call the store and talk to the manager. I hope Talbot’s refunds your money immediately.

Honored Contributor

Sure seems to me that extending fairness and goodwill to a loyal customer with no history at all of trying to cheat Talbots should be far more valuable to Talbots than the price of a pair of shorts. Not to mention the time and resources of investigating it. Especially with all the brick and mortar stores that are struggling these days.

I don't think it's your fault at all @wilma 

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Sorry. It’s Talbots fault.  She didn’t ring them up on her own. Besides they are really good about wrapping your receipt tightly into the clothing and into a bag.  Have you never shopped with them before?

@GSPgirl   I always ask them to hand me my receipt.  A lot of the longtime sales people do fold it up before they had it to me. That's left over and a habit of theirs because T's clerks used to put the receipt into very small envelopes to hand back to the customer so the old timers still fold it up. 

But I always ask for mine to be handed to me, and I look at it before leaving the store.  They've made a mistake on my returns before (returned the wrong item because the clerk looked at the wrong line on the computer).   And the system has just recently changed so that's much easier to do now.  Even though you have a receipt, when the clerk scans the tag it will automatically pull up the most recent purchase of the item (if you bought two because it went on sale much cheaper w/in your 90 day return period, or bought one as a gift or whatever).  It's going to automatically bring up the most recent purchase of it, so make sure if you did purchase more than one and one is cheaper, that you hand the clerk the one on the most expensive receipt and that she uses the receipt to return it, not what the computer is telling her.

Always check your receipt before leaving the store anyway, because as say, the clerk can easily look at the wrong line on her computer in your history of items purchased.