Honored Contributor

Talbots' Continued Red Hanger Discounts Are Driving Me Crazy!

[ Edited ]

So Friday night I was at a shopping plaza with yet another Talbot's store so I strolled in.  It was jam-packed with clearance merchandise (it had the most left over of the Ts I've been to). The discount was 60% off but the additional 5% for using the T card had stopped.  But I saw so many things that the other Talbot's didn't have any more that I ended up with about $120 worth of merchandise.  

So just this past week, on Monday the MLK Day weekend sale was still on which was 50% off clearance plus another $20 off each $100 worth of clothes plus another 5% off for using the T card. On Tuesday it was 60% off clearance plus another 5% off for using the T card.  And Wed, Thurs. and Friday it was just 60% off clearance. 

But....when I got home from that Friday night shopping binge, I found an email that for Saturday and Sunday ONLY, I would get another 15% off the 60% off clearance but I had to show my email.  This extra 15% off wasn't being offered to everyone.   So that means on Saturday (today) I could get an additional 15% off all that stuff I'd bought just hours before on Friday night.  I was frustrated: no sooner did I make that purchase on Friday night that I got home to find that email saying I could get it all cheaper on Saturday!   I went back to that store today and the manager was so nice.  She adjusted my entire bill from Friday night to give me the extra 15% off. She said they hadn't even known about this additional 15% off.  So she evaporated my frustration immediately.  

But honestly - these sale games are getting ridiculous.

And a cable knit sweater, and several weeks ago was a one-day special for cardholders:  regularly $69.50 but one day only $39.50, is now down to $24.50 clearance price and I got an additional 15% off that today so it was $22.00.  Good grief.  Talbots makes me crazy!

Respected Contributor

Re: Talbots' Continued Red Hanger Discounts Are Driving Me Crazy!

Good deals make me happy!  Enjoy your goodies!

Esteemed Contributor

I got the same E Mail about the addl15% yesterday.  WHen I went into work this AM I mentioned it to my manager and she knew nothing about it.  WHen she checked her E Mail the notice was there.  AT this time of the year they are trying to clear the winter merchandise and will be offering various incentives.  STore managers will do a price adjustment for you.  I know going back to the store is a PITA but really we seldom get advance notice about what incentives they will be offering.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee... I have been shopping at Talbots's this week also. Exactly like u said they drove me crazy w/ the 15% off for Sat and Sun email. I had been in a Talbots's just on Thurs nite and bought $150.00 worth and then I find that email for Sat in stores only. I still am
pissed..😡
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KKlim wrote:
@Pearlee... I have been shopping at Talbots's this week also. Exactly like u said they drove me crazy w/ the 15% off for Sat and Sun email. I had been in a Talbots's just on Thurs nite and bought $150.00 worth and then I find that email for Sat in stores only. I still am
pissed..😡

@KKlim  Do you have time to go back tomorrow and ask that same store for an adjustment, as I did?  The manager was happy to do it when I told her how frustrated I was to come home from shopping in their store to find that email.  I think it would be important for you to go tomorrow while that 15% is still on.   Because I'll tell you, I was so frustrated that I had everything in the car to return if they weren't going to do it, but the manager was very nice about it and did it without hesitation.  I saved about $18. All I had to do was give her my receipt, although I did still have the items with all tags still attached in the car with me.

Respected Contributor

Hi @Pearlee..when I read your story I said "boy does sound familiar"- Lol. the store I go to is in Northern New Jersey and they have "Blue Laws" meaning they can't Open on Sunday..☹️️. And the email says it ends Sunday. "Like u said I'm pissed I feel like returning it all even though it's only an additional 15% off. It's the principal. I spent a crazy amt there this past week.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KKlim wrote:
Hi @Pearlee..when I read your story I said "boy does sound familiar"- Lol. the store I go to is in Northern New Jersey and they have "Blue Laws" meaning they can't Open on Sunday..☹️️. And the email says it ends Sunday. "Like u said I'm pissed I feel like returning it all even though it's only an additional 15% off. It's the principal. I spent a crazy amt there this past week.

@KKlim  Gosh I learned something today from your post.  I had no idea any states still had Sunday Blue Laws - something I clearly remember from when I was a kid and our state had them.  Wow - really? in 2017?   Hard to believe!  Then I'd still go back and say I'm angry and frustrated.  It worked for me!   One of the things I said was I understand what Talbot's does routinely with sales and pricing and normally it's just mildly frustrating, but THIS is so frustrating  - the significant additional percentage off (15% is not 5%) soming THIS SOON after my purchase, makes me not want to keep doing business with Talbot's.    I think they'll make the adjustment if you indicate you are that upset and angry and again, say your things are out in the car and if you don't get an adjustment you'll return everything.   I would have definitely returned my purchase I was that angry!

Be sure to take the email with you.  My Talbots was only giving the 15% to the people with the email - that was their instructions.

Honored Contributor

@KKlim- if you put it on a Talbots credit card, call customer service today and see if they'll do the adjustment over the phone. 

If not, even though it expires today I'd go back to the store and see if they'd adjust because of the blue law issue. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@KKlim- if you put it on a Talbots credit card, call customer service today and see if they'll do the adjustment over the phone. 

If not, even though it expires today I'd go back to the store and see if they'd adjust because of the blue law issue. 

@KKlim  I agree with @gidgetgh .  If you call today and tell them how frustrated and angry you are, at the very worst if they won't make an adjustment for you, they'll add a bunch of points to your account so you get a rewards certificate faster for $25 off. (If you have a T credit card that is).  And if you do go back to the store, speak only to a manager because the others won't have any authority to make a price adjustment for you. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

I wish they'd give us a 30% off purchase flash sale today. I'm ready to buy some of the new releases. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?