Respected Contributor

Re: Talbot's Red Hanger Sale Is On!

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

Talbots pima cotton tops feel divine and are excellent quality.  And - I wouldn't say this about anything else at Talbots - but they are an excellent price even at the retail price and yet you can frequently find them at less than that with T's discounts.   They are always a super buy.  Can't beat pima cotton!

Pima cotton is long staple cotton and it's considered superior. But there will be differences in tees made of Pima, depending on the knit construction (rib knit or jersey knit, etc.) and the weight of the cotton used (which determines thickness of the fabric). Talbots describes their current bateau tee as "featherweight pima cotton." I think that's accurate; it's on the thinner side. I just don't like featherweight. 

The other issue, their petites not being short enough, is a deal breaker for me. Every now and then I find a top or sweater that is short enough, but that's rare.

I'm glad you're enjoying their clothes, though! 

p.s. I just remembered I have tops I bought at the Talbots outlet store earlier this year. And I love them! They are a bit shorter, and the fabric is thicker. 

Honored Contributor

The white short - sleeved pima top I bought this year - which came in many different colors, was quite substantial material, not thin at all.   And not long - definitely nowhere near tunic length.

Honored Contributor

Just hang in there for good prices.  I hear Talbot's and the Loft are on the chopping block and may soon be reducing clothing to "let's get this out of here before we close" prices.

Honored Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

Just hang in there for good prices.  I hear Talbot's and the Loft are on the chopping block and may soon be reducing clothing to "let's get this out of here before we close" prices.

I would be devastated if Talbots closed. I've been shopping there since I was a little girl. 99.9% of my clothes comes from Talbots. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

I would be devastated if Talbots closed. I've been shopping there since I was a little girl. 99.9% of my clothes comes from Talbots. 

I, too, was very disappointed but things seem to be going that way with mall closings and more and more people buying from the internet and now Bezos is buying up everything in sight to be sold on the Internet, even going to send wardrobes of clothing out for trial.  Geez, he is trying to be the JCPenney catalog with QVC thrown in.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

@Nonametoday  You "hear"?  What documentation do you have to post this?  Since you are upsetting our good friend and Talbots shopper @gidgetgh ?   @gidgetgh  Please wait for  reliable documentation about this, and don't believe everything you read or "hear" second hand without it.

Or are you supposing merely because the malls aren't doing well?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've read a lot of articles about "retailers closing stores in 2017" and I don't see Talbots in any of them. They did have some closings in previous years, but that seems to have leveled off.

Talbots isn't a publicly owned company anymore; it's privately held. There isn't a stock price to follow or an easy way to see how they are doing. 

I really hope that Talbots stays healthy and succeeds. My recent irritation with them is hopefully short lived. I'm hoping that fall and winter will bring heavier fabrics and some styles I'll love.

The great thing about smaller retailers is that they carry a curated collection. I can go in the store or look online and not be overwhelmed with hundreds or thousands of options. 

This is why I really do care about smaller retailers. If they can develop a reliable brand and consistently deliver quality and value, they can be a godsend to the consumer. Also, having bricks and mortar stores where clothes can be tried on is a big boon to customers.

Honored Contributor

Ok.....so much for my resolve. We were going out to lunch today and we "just happened" to pass by Talbots so I HAD to stop in. I had a gift card from cashing in some Discover card points burning a hole in my pocket AND I had not used my 30% off a regular priced item coupon in person yet. 

I ended up buying 4 things.  

Zip Mock neck jacket in the lime color.  I'm not a huge jacket person, but I loved the color. 

V Neck sweater in peach (For next winter).

Button Shoulder sweater in Windsor Blue. 

For my 30% off full price item I got another pair of the natural colored slim ankle jeans. I absolutely love these. I've gotten several compliments on mine.  They're very comfortable and really soft. I'll leave the tags on these and put them away. The item # is 303284. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Sounds like you found some lovely things!

I've always loved Talbot's sweaters. I have a whole drawer full. They last forever.

I might look at their shorts. I think shorts are something they do well - lots of lengths and they hold up well. 

Honored Contributor

Hard as it is to believe, I still haven't yet shopped this sale online or in a store.  Again, I'm figuring the prices will drop more.