Honored Contributor

Great finds and great looking you, as always.  I love Johnny Was and that was a fantastic find.  Good on you.  Keep the fashions coming and keep shopping.  I live vicariously through you, not only for your fashion-hunting and finds but your style, your height and your beautiful you.

Valued Contributor

@MacDuFF ...  you look FABULOUS !!

Super Contributor

TWEAKS 11/29 to WIW (w/e 11/26/22)...

[ Edited ]
Apologies for this ridiculously long post (and beg you not to use the quote feature hahaha)...

@happilyretiredgirl    My portion of our closet is approx 4' x 6'...every single thing I own relating to fashion is in there and, believe it or not, it's not packed to the gills. It's more the size of a department store dressing room haha.  

I admit, the contents come and go until I get it right (that's my strategy, and I'm sticking to it).  Thrifting allows me to refine/curate my closet with things I love (or that are functional) and that I actually wear without breaking the bank.   Lots of times this year (working on transitional wear, the last challenge of the Purge), I've thrifted something for, say, $3 that just didn't work.  I wear it a few times so it isn't a complete loss, then I put it in the donation bag and say, "Well, at least it wasn't a $10 try-on fee and a return hassle!"  

I wear 80-90% of my fashion items 80-90% of the time, which was one of my Purge goals.

@phoenixbrd   @Desert Lily   @shoptilyadropagain    I'm not a big fan of prints and agree with shoptilya that JW can be a little too busy for me, but have always admired the brand's quality, fabrics and use of color.  This top is fun and not too over-the-top...I've already worn it several times (see my tweak below).  

I've been playing with more prints and jackets, neither of which I'm a big fan of...had to learn to embrace jackets as functional/necessary for transition and prints to add some interest to my more minimalist tendencies.

@Chopsmom   Whaaat?  $6?!?  Talk about a score...wear it in good health! 

@lynnie61   Except for AG Harper jeans (which I'm stalking), I'm going to try a low-buy thrifting only year in 2023...bets are now being taken as to whether or not I can pull it off hahaha!!

@Lisa Y   Hey Cuz...yes, inside is French terry and outside is a soft, smooth cotton.  It's as comfy as any sweatshirt I've ever had, but a step above in style.

@queendiva   I originally started the Great and Terrible Purge in winter.  It's been almost exactly five years since I started the Purge, so I've had the most time to figure out what I needed/wanted in my winter wardrobe.  I think I've added maybe 2 or 3 sweaters since last year and haven't even been looking (I'm already looking at spring).  This is my strategy:  To have a smaller, well-integrated wardrobe that works for me and doesn't need to be changed or upgraded constantly.  

Thanks to you all for your nice comments!  

How I edited the two outfits in the OP (this is how the pics help me style)...

I didn't love the jacket with the lighter base.  It needed contrast, which, in my defense, I recognized and so stated.  I put "mid-tone denim friendly top to wear under jacket" on my hunting list, but then I started playing around in my closet, and this thrifted Brooks Bros button front linen denim shirt worked perfectly (reminder to self: shop your closet first!).  Switched to darker wash AG Harper and Franco Sarto "color shifting, muddy waters" boots, and much preferred it to the OP...

Of course, I can wear the Johnny Was (as well as the jacket) with just about any style or wash of jean, but, since this design is busier than I'm used to, I liked it better with all black.  I could have worn the grey version of the mock neck, but the red is festive (and my Cuz likes it when I wear red Smiley Wink).   Old G by Guiliana jeggings...light weight thrifted Peck & Peck ribbed mock neck...old Coach boots...Sak...

I went thrifting today and found this Loft ribbed 100% cotton sweater in the perfect blue that I had on my hunting list to go with the Z Supply jacket for $3.  It also works with my one and only denim jacket (with printed sleeves)...which is what I mean when I say I want a well-integrated wardrobe.  I can wear the Brooks Bros linen shirt in warmer transitional weather and this sweater in cooler.  I wish I could get a better representation of the sweater color as well as a close-up of the tiny, pale pink, blue and yellow flowers on the jacket...

My big fat strategy is to thrift as close to what I want/need as possible and see if it works and if I wear it.  If it does, and I eventually run across a similar item, but better quality/fabric/fit, I'll invest.  If I eventually find a cashmere sweater in this color, for example, that costs a bundle, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

I'm having waaay too much fashion fun!

Hope everyone is having a nice week.  

~~~11th Commandment: Thou shalt not quote MacDuff's ridiculously long posts; once is ridiculously long enough. Amen~~~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: TWEAKS 11/29 to WIW (w/e 11/26/22)...

@MacDuFF: Love, love love the tweaks you made to this week's post!!

That JW top at thrift- what a score! A true Unicorn of thrifting. I may join you with your thrift only wardrobe shopping for 2023. The only new purchases I have made, (obviously not including socks & underwear) have been on clearance items, and they have been few in number.

Love that new blue sweater. Right now my thrifting wish list includes 2 items: an oversized, chunky knit off- white pullover sweater and any top or sweater in a similar shade of blue to your find.

I am finding the pickin's are lean at thrift at this time. Closets have been purged and it's holiday time now. I may pick up an off-white ribbed knit cream sweater that I saw yesterday. Today is half price day, so it would be half off $5.00. Not exactly what I want, so I'll see...