Super Contributor

I was surprised they sold out because the clasp was made of sterling silver and didn't seem to blend in with the necklace. I expected a gold clasp for that kind of money.

Super Contributor

They probably don't stock that many $300 strands of pearls

so of course it sells out quickly. You an buy Ming pearls

on a lot of other websites besides just QVC.

Super Contributor
On 4/11/2014 serenity4ever said:

I was surprised they sold out because the clasp was made of sterling silver and didn't seem to blend in with the necklace. I expected a gold clasp for that kind of money.

ITA. I also expect pearls to be knotted. It preserves the pearls preventing them from knocking against each other and chipping and adds a softness and drape along the neckline. Putting them on a wire is a lazy cheap way to string pearls. These were overpriced and certainly didn't impress me. Like someone else said, there's other places to get Mings.

Super Contributor
On 4/11/2014 qwarkster said:

ITA. I also expect pearls to be knotted. It preserves the pearls preventing them from knocking against each other and chipping

Actually, knotting is to prevent losing some pearls when the strand breaks. Joel said that large mm pearl necklaces tend to break and require re-stringing. The stainless wire is stronger.

Valued Contributor
On 4/11/2014 ennui1 said:

ITA. I also expect pearls to be knotted. It preserves the pearls preventing them from knocking against each other and chipping

Actually, knotting is to prevent losing some pearls when the strand breaks. Joel said that large mm pearl necklaces tend to break and require re-stringing. The stainless wire is stronger.

ennui1: Right you are about the knotting. A little more than a year ago I was wearing a strand of Mikimotos my husband gave me for our 25th anniversary when I felt the pearls slip from around my neck and fall into my blouse. I grabbed for the pearls which were, except for the one next to where the string broke, all still there on the string and that was due to them being individually knotted. I looked around for the missing pearl that was nowhere to be found until I undressed hours later and found it in my bra.

I don't care how beautiful the pearls are, that TSV should have been knotted and on good quality string, not wire.

Maria

Super Contributor
On 4/11/2014 Seka said:
On 4/11/2014 susan_ca said:

I was hoping to see the presentation, but I dozed off. When I was awake, it was 2am PST.

If you go to post #12 - there's a Link to the Presentation!

Thanks, Seka!

The colors are very pretty, similar to those of the potato shaped ones sold as TSV couple of years ago. The shapes of these Ming pearls are a bit bothersome for me. While the potato pearls of a couple of years ago were "flawed" looking [for lack of better term(s)], they are rounder than this Ming ones.

Valued Contributor

I think I heard someone say that we will want to stay up 'till midnight to grab the TSV because they were not able to bring a lot in. Pretty sure I heard that. 9 PM came and went. I finally clicked over for a moment to see what it looked like and it was gone. They said it took 12 minutes. My impression is that they planned for it all along and it seems to make the rest of the Honora they are selling all day long appear more valuable and desirable. I don't care for the ringed pearls so haven't watched any of their shows.

Valued Contributor
On 4/11/2014 curlywhitedog said:
On 4/11/2014 ennui1 said:

ennui1: Right you are about the knotting. A little more than a year ago I was wearing a strand of Mikimotos my husband gave me for our 25th anniversary when I felt the pearls slip from around my neck and fall into my blouse. I grabbed for the pearls which were, except for the one next to where the string broke, all still there on the string and that was due to them being individually knotted. I looked around for the missing pearl that was nowhere to be found until I undressed hours later and found it in my bra.

I don't care how beautiful the pearls are, that TSV should have been knotted and on good quality string, not wire.

Maria

ITA. Properly strung & knotted pearls are strung on quality silk. The silk holds up quite a while. Stainless wire can snap, especially since the wire is snipped far too close to the crimp. If a knotted strand breaks, at worst, you are out 1-2 pearls. When the wire breaks, you are hunting for all of them. I hate when pearls and bead gemstones are strung on wire. I've had several necklaces & bracelets ruined that way.
Super Contributor

J279590 comes in 4 different shades and is only $39 for 18"" or 40"" for $42 with S&H of $4.97:

Super Contributor
On 4/12/2014 susan_ca said:

J279590 comes in 4 different shades and is only $39 for 18"" or 40"" for $42 with S&H of $4.97:

I have this one in both Shades of Gray and Envy - it's a lot of pearls for the price!