Reply
Super Contributor
Posts: 374
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

TSV Straight Leg definition according to Gary

I re-wound my DVR several times to get his exact words and typed this exactly as he said it:

"For customers who don't understand what a straight leg is - it means that from the waist to the knee it's going to follow the curves of your body, it's not going to be fitted or tight. Then from the knee down to the hem, it's straight. So if you turned it up from the bottom, you would see the same width from the knee down."

I'm wondering about his last sentence. On my screen, and maybe it's an optical illusion, it does NOT appear as if the hem is the width as the knee. It appears to me as if these DO taper from the knee to the hem.

Do you have these? Does anyone else see a taper?

I don't want a taper on a straight leg pant. I would like a straight leg from the knee to the hem, as he said these are.

Just wondering if they truly are straight from the knee to the hem if anyone can confirm.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,221
Registered: ‎08-09-2012

Re: TSV Straight Leg definition according to Gary

Jayro, I don't know what the problem is with Gary and Denim & Co. The pant is tapered - in a medium, the knee circumference is 18.75" - the bottom leg opening is 13.5". Is that not the definition of "tapered"? What am I missing?

The same thing happened when they turned the How Smooth Bootcut jean, which everyone loved as it was, into a so-called "straight leg". The knee was bigger than the bottom opening, which makes it tapered. But they called it straight leg anyway. And there were people who commented when they received them, that they loved the straight leg, they didn't like tapered! But they got tapered, and apparently didn't even know it.

I hate a tapered leg on me - my most flattering cut is the bootcut, followed by a TRUE straight leg, which this most certainly isn't.

So it's definitely not your imagination....it's tapered!{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Just wanted to say, this pant is even more tapered than the How Smooth "Straight Leg" jean. That one has a 17" knee circumference.

Edited by me...

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,188
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: TSV Straight Leg definition according to Gary

I decided to cancel order.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 199
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: TSV Straight Leg definition according to Gary

Well I hate tapered legs (like some of the older Levis out there) and I received my TSV pants today, they are not tapered. They are straight legs. The pants may seem tapered based on the click here measurements but remember that for most of us, at least for me, the thigh is going to have a greater circumference than the knee, which will be wider than regular ankle, and take up more room in the actual pants. The effect will be a straight leg fit, if that makes sense. They would only have a tapered fit if our legs were of equal circumference from top to bottom.
Super Contributor
Posts: 374
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: TSV Straight Leg definition according to Gary

On 6/27/2014 kittymomNC said:

Jayro, I don't know what the problem is with Gary and Denim & Co. The pant is tapered - in a medium, the knee circumference is 18.75" - the bottom leg opening is 13.5". Is that not the definition of "tapered"? What am I missing?

The same thing happened when they turned the How Smooth Bootcut jean, which everyone loved as it was, into a so-called "straight leg". The knee was bigger than the bottom opening, which makes it tapered. But they called it straight leg anyway. And there were people who commented when they received them, that they loved the straight leg, they didn't like tapered! But they got tapered, and apparently didn't even know it.

I hate a tapered leg on me - my most flattering cut is the bootcut, followed by a TRUE straight leg, which this most certainly isn't.

So it's definitely not your imagination....it's tapered!{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Just wanted to say, this pant is even more tapered than the How Smooth "Straight Leg" jean. That one has a 17" knee circumference.

Edited by me...

Thanks, KittyMom! I'm glad my perception wasn't way off! I hate a tapered leg on me. It's really unflattering. I don't understand why/how they can make a claim that is not true, especially when the measurements state the opposite of what he said. He clearly said - if you hold up the ankle next to the knee, they are the same.

BTW - I'm a kitty mom, too!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,313
Registered: ‎07-18-2013

Re: TSV Straight Leg definition according to Gary

The tsv is definitely tapered! I recall that Clinton and Stacey on what not to wear described straight leg just as the op typed. The D n C is not straight legged! I changed the channel when I saw that taper. The only thing I want tapered is going into a tall riding boot!
If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,221
Registered: ‎08-09-2012

Re: TSV Straight Leg definition according to Gary

On 6/27/2014 lisadpa said: Well I hate tapered legs (like some of the older Levis out there) and I received my TSV pants today, they are not tapered. They are straight legs. The pants may seem tapered based on the click here measurements but remember that for most of us, at least for me, the thigh is going to have a greater circumference than the knee, which will be wider than regular ankle, and take up more room in the actual pants. The effect will be a straight leg fit, if that makes sense. They would only have a tapered fit if our legs were of equal circumference from top to bottom.

I think I understand what you're trying to say, but Gary wasn't talking about our legs, he was talking about the pants. "from the knee down to the hem, it's straight. So if you turned it up from the bottom, you would see the same width from the knee down." I'm sorry, but that is just not true. If the circumference of the knee is 18.75", and you lay the pants down flat and turn the bottom up and lay it on top of the knee area, in order to be straight from the knee down as Gary says, the bottom would also have to be 18.75"--and it isn't, it's 13.5". I've done this with my How Smooth jeans, and you can see how much difference there is. Or if you take a tape measure and measure at the knee area, then measure the bottom, you will see that they are about 5" different in circumference. That makes the pants have a tapered leg from the knee down to the bottom. Unless the dictionary is wrong and tapered doesn't mean what it says. Sometimes, depending on the angle you're looking from, they can appear to be straighter than they are, but from other angles, you can see very clearly that they are tapered. I'm really not trying to be argumentative...it's just that I don't understand how they can stand there and call these or the How Smooth jeans a "straight leg" when actual measurements just don't lie.{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,221
Registered: ‎08-09-2012

Re: TSV Straight Leg definition according to Gary

On 6/27/2014 Jayro said:
On 6/27/2014 kittymomNC said:

<em>Jayro</em>, I don't know what the problem is with Gary and Denim & Co. The pant is tapered - in a medium, the knee circumference is 18.75" - the bottom leg opening is 13.5". Is that not the definition of "tapered"? What am I missing?

The same thing happened when they turned the How Smooth Bootcut jean, which everyone loved as it was, into a so-called "straight leg". The knee was bigger than the bottom opening, which makes it tapered. But they called it straight leg anyway. And there were people who commented when they received them, that they loved the straight leg, they didn't like tapered! But they got tapered, and apparently didn't even know it.

I hate a tapered leg on me - my most flattering cut is the bootcut, followed by a TRUE straight leg, which this most certainly isn't.

So it's definitely not your imagination....it's <em>tapered</em>!{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Just wanted to say, this pant is even <em>more</em> tapered than the How Smooth "Straight Leg" jean. That one has a 17" knee circumference.

Edited by me...

Thanks, KittyMom! I'm glad my perception wasn't way off! I hate a tapered leg on me. It's really unflattering. I don't understand why/how they can make a claim that is not true, especially when the measurements state the opposite of what he said. He clearly said - if you hold up the ankle next to the knee, they are the same.

BTW - I'm a kitty mom, too!

You're welcome...glad you are owned by one or more cats - isn't it great?{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor
Posts: 374
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: TSV Straight Leg definition according to Gary

On 6/27/2014 kittymomNC said:
On 6/27/2014 lisadpa said: Well I hate tapered legs (like some of the older Levis out there) and I received my TSV pants today, they are not tapered. They are straight legs. The pants may seem tapered based on the click here measurements but remember that for most of us, at least for me, the thigh is going to have a greater circumference than the knee, which will be wider than regular ankle, and take up more room in the actual pants. The effect will be a straight leg fit, if that makes sense. They would only have a tapered fit if our legs were of equal circumference from top to bottom.

I think I understand what you're trying to say, but Gary wasn't talking about our legs, he was talking about the pants. "from the knee down to the hem, it's straight. So if you turned it up from the bottom, you would see the same width from the knee down." I'm sorry, but that is just not true. If the circumference of the knee is 18.75", and you lay the pants down flat and turn the bottom up and lay it on top of the knee area, in order to be straight from the knee down as Gary says, the bottom would also have to be 18.75"--and it isn't, it's 13.5". I've done this with my How Smooth jeans, and you can see how much difference there is. Or if you take a tape measure and measure at the knee area, then measure the bottom, you will see that they are about 5" different in circumference. That makes the pants have a tapered leg from the knee down to the bottom. Unless the dictionary is wrong and tapered doesn't mean what it says. Sometimes, depending on the angle you're looking from, they can appear to be straighter than they are, but from other angles, you can see very clearly that they are tapered. I'm really not trying to be argumentative...it's just that I don't understand how they can stand there and call these or the How Smooth jeans a "straight leg" when actual measurements just don't lie.{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Thanks again, KittyMom. Gary is the D&C Rep/Product developer, and he said the ankle and the knee are the same circumference on this TSV pant so you would think he would be interested in being clear and correct about the cut of the item. Like you pointed out, the measurements state otherwise, and it was clear to me by looking at them on TV that they ARE tapered. There is nothing wrong with a tapered leg, so why claim it's straight when it's not? Plenty of people will buy a tapered pant. Why mislead those of us that want a truly straight leg and will have to return the item?

Regular Contributor
Posts: 199
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: TSV Straight Leg definition according to Gary

Kittymom, of course the numbers don't lie. But, I already received my TSV pants (yesterday) and they do have a straight leg fit. They don't have that tapered look or feel at all. I love that about them They do indeed hang straight down from my knee. So maybe our legs do have something to do with the resulting "straight leg" look?