Trusted Contributor

Re: TSV- Do you like bust darts or No?

I do not love darts as well.  I am larger on top and feel at times, the darts do not lay correctly, so it puts more attention on the top...just where I do not want it.

Honored Contributor

The fabrics from days gone by were more stiff and probably needed more tayloring but with all the great softer  materials that go with the curves of your body darts just are not necessary to "make room" for your bust or to add shape!!!  Very few wear such an extreme look these days as it is not necessary to get a good fitting blouse or dress!  

Honored Contributor

Not anymore---I have no bust so am finding it very difficult to find tops that fit. Had double mastectomy and am not doing any recon, so finding things that don't hang on me yet don't emphasize that isssue is tough! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Post removed because of editing error.

Honored Contributor

@violannwrote:

@wagirlwrote:

Not anymore---I have no bust so am finding it very difficult to find tops that fit. Had double mastectomy and am not doing any recon, so finding things that don't hang on me yet don't emphasize that isssue is tough! 

No problem! Just make yourself a set like I do. ADDING (VERY IMPORTANT)- I SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED, @wagirl, THAT ONE OF THE REASONS I do as I do was because of unilateral surgery also.

I most DEFINITELY did NOT mean to sound flippant. I had about 1/4 of the tissue removed many years ago, and was actually taught how to compensate this way.

Hoping that all is going well with you’re care.   Violann

Honored Contributor

Yes ... a must for woven fabrics.   Problem with ready-made ... not always in the right position for bust size/shape.    Reason #283,746 that I can't buy ready-made tops/dresses made with woven fabrics.

Not necessary on knit fabrcs.

Honored Contributor

I like darts in fitted and very tailored garments. When I worked as a professional seamstress I would get requests from customers to place darts in some of their garments, especially evening gowns and mens' tailored dress shirts. Placing darts on garments is not governed so much by the type of fabric, either stretchy or not, but it's mostly about bringing shape and sometimes interesting details to a garment. Placement of darts can be done any place where a contour needs attention or it can be placed as a design element.

Honored Contributor

Darts are not determined by your fit, but can determine if the garment fits well.  It gives it a tailored look.  We all wore darts until polyester and China came along to determine what everybody wore. 

Esteemed Contributor

@151949wrote:

@Soonerwrote:

Since the Marilyn/pointy look is out they are pointless in today’s clothes no matter what fabric. They scream 1955. 

So - I repeat - how do you think they should make room for your bust if they don't use darts? BTW - darts DO NOT make your bustline "Pointy". They make your garment fit properly.

There are all kinds of ways -- princess seams, yokes, pleats -- to name a few. I mean, if you're going to stick to those kinds of fabrics.

Honored Contributor

@Harpawrote:

@151949wrote:

@Soonerwrote:

Since the Marilyn/pointy look is out they are pointless in today’s clothes no matter what fabric. They scream 1955. 

So - I repeat - how do you think they should make room for your bust if they don't use darts? BTW - darts DO NOT make your bustline "Pointy". They make your garment fit properly.

There are all kinds of ways -- princess seams, yokes, pleats -- to name a few. I mean, if you're going to stick to those kinds of fabrics.

Oh yeah - I'm sure a yoke and pleats would be way more attractive on the front of a garment than a simple dart. NOT.