Esteemed Contributor

Re: TSV- Do you like bust darts or No?

Bust darts are fine for me.  I have many blouses, some with, some without.  I have some really nice cotton button fronts from D&Co with princess seams in back and bust darts in front, that create a very nice sort of "self-bodice" and give me ease of comfort in the wearing.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

@151949wrote:

Without darts a woven fabric won't fit over the breasts. How do all you dart haters suggest they make room for your bust if they don't use darts?

@151949darts don't add fabric to the garment they are there to add shape, the garment is going to fit you with or without them. The problem is, unless the garment is fitted on you they never seem to be in the right place. Plus they look very dated, like prior to the 60's - Yikes !  

Valued Contributor

@gabstoomuchwrote:

I wish Joan's line would get rid of the bust darts. I realize they were the way clothes were made in Joan's era. All my mothers clothes had darts.

I do not see bust darts anymore in other lines. IF darts are in an item of clothing, it is usually a high end, couture, made to fit the person piece and are in the exact location they should be. But not in mass produced clothing that I see anywhere.

I cannot wear them. With all the different shapes and sizes of women now, I can't imagine the darts land where they are supposed to on anyone.

I am very small up there, and 62 years old, so they not small and perky anymore either (if ya know what I mean). I imagine large busted women would have a similar probem. Large busted at age 20 is not what large busted looks like at age over 60.

Not trying to insult anyone, but darts for over 60 should be made a little lower to the waist LOL (that sounds like something Joan would say). Cute very cute.

So what about you ladies? Like darts, or not?

Don't like bust darts!!!!  And I thought I was the only one.

Trusted Contributor

Seems most don't like darts. I have been watching the models at different presentations, and none of the darts look like they are in the right place.

I got the pink shirt because it is so pretty, but I bet I will have to send it back. Darts only work if they are specifically made for your body. Some models were too high, some were too low.

Maybe David reads the threads and will reconsider darts in the future.

Darts make me think of my Nana (and she would be about 130 y/o by now), she always had darts. As did my mother. Someone said they look matronly, and that is a great word to describe them.

I am going to become intentionally observant for a while and pay attention to women's clothes (either in a store or on a body walking by) just to see if darts are still a thing and I just hadn't noticed.

Respected Contributor

No, I don't like darts.  They often don't hit me in the right place and look funny.

I wouldn't consider the TSV to be a boyfriend shirt.  It was an oversized swing shirt. 

Honored Contributor

violann--not sure what you are saying but I'm very ok with my flatness,  so no offense taken--I do have a set of faux "girls" that I can wear but don't much. I really am ok with my flatness and the freedom it brings. Woman Wink  

Honored Contributor

@jonbonwrote:

Surprised to see the negativity. Many tailored shirts from many brands/retailers (Brooks Brothers, J Crew, Talbots, etc.) still have bust darts -- I don't think there's anything matronly or outdated about them, nor do they give a "pointed" look. I believe the whole idea around the big shirts in Joan's line was to make a polished, feminine, tailored version of a more relaxed garment. People here are always complaining about clothing looking "sloppy," and this is, to me, is the flip side of all of the athleisure-y oversized tops.

Darts only give a tailored, finished, more expensive to an otherwise unfinished or maternity look.

Valued Contributor

I love darts.  I wouldn't seek them out on a T-shirt, or other casual clothing, but in my case they are imperative to a perfect fit. 

Darts provide a tailored, more form-fitting silhouette.  Perhaps that is because I have a larger bust and a smaller waist.  The darts allow me room for my bust without having to swim in an enormous, oversized shirt.