Honored Contributor

Re: TSV 10/14 Gili by Jill Martin sweater cape...

If it matters, you can read the reviews for the original version of this cape here:

https://www.qvc.com/GILI-Sweater-Cape-with-Button-Details.product.A299529.html?sc=SRCH

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

Mary is wearing it on the KitchenAid show now and I'm not overly impressed...Hmmm.

@Susan Louise 

I didn't like it on Mary. I think it was too small

Respected Contributor

I love capes so ordered one in burgundy.  I did the pre-sale yesterday with free shipping.  Retailmenot had a 10% rebate for QVC.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I personally would never wear this.  Just not my style at all.  I recently purchased a poncho that is high-low, not too voluminous, zips up the front, is super wearable and easy to throw on since I do not have to put it over my head.  It's kind of perfect to dress up or down and keep on the back of my chair at work or by the back door.  I can't even begin to imagine where I would wear the TSV.

Honored Contributor

Not really my style but cute for what it is. I don't thing the bridge sizing was wise; I think you need a more precise fit as is illustrated by some of the models...

Respected Contributor

@coconut1818 wrote:

@Favorite Son wrote:

I pondered this for a while, because I have been hunting for something to wear over winter coats on my daily commute - driving, standing in cold waiting on public transit, sitting on public transit with less than optimal heating.  My upper arms and shoulders are always cold, no matter what coat I wear. 

I finally decided against the cape because I located a Martha Stewart ruana on eBay for a silly low price, the seller shipped it lickety split, and it arrived Friday.  While I don't own any of the previous versions of this GILI cape, I think the ruana is a better value and more functional, for the following reasons:

1. Fabric content - that GILI cape is loaded with acrylic, a cheap filler fiber that doesn't wash or wear well.  Acrylic = pilling.  The cape also doesn't look terribly warm.  The Martha Stuart ruana is heavy and very warm, which is exactly what I was looking for.

2. Style - I find the glossy snaps offputting and that mock neck would really annoy me.

3.  General hassle factor - getting into and out of the cape is not easy.  All those snaps need to be treated with some care - you can't just grab and pull without supporting the edge of the snap, since they are pounded into knit (even though it is somewhat stabilized with ribbon).  There's also just the general pain-in-the-arse factor with getting it snapped up and then having it lay flat.  If you notice the video, any time there is much movement of the models or the host, a rumple develops that has to be pulled down.  I prefer the ease throwing the ruana across my back, one flip over the shoulder, and I am ready to go and warm at the same time.

I really like the olive color of the cape, but I wouldn't pay $50 for something with so many factors that don't suit my requirements or lifestyle.

Favorite son, did you get the Martha Stewart reversible one? 

Yes, I got the black one.  I really like it.  I wish they would restock this ruana in other colors, especially a gray-based olive.  

Respected Contributor

I couldn't wear a cape indoors as a fashion statement without melting, and the weather window is short here for a cape. I don't think it flatters many of the models or hosts. It's a pass for me.

Trusted Contributor

Joan Rivers had some very nice capes but I never did order any.  She looked very stylish iwhen wearing one.

Maybe Louis will do one. 

Frequent Contributor

I have several ruanas and capes. However this is a big NO for me. Material will snag, not clean well, and if you notice they are avoiding any side shots of the models for very good reasons. I am sorry but this is not stylish and it does not look good on any of the models or hosts wearing it. It is too much like a stretched out sweater, too small in some areas and too large in others. And the snaps are bright and brassy and take away rather than enhance the look. Even Amy who usually looks cute in most clothing, looks almost dowdy in this. So disappointed this was the TSV. 

Respected Contributor

Not for me though it looks nice. I would not wear it enough cause you cannot wear a heavy coat or jacket over it and I live in upstate NY.