Honored Contributor

Re: TSV 10/14 Gili by Jill Martin sweater cape...

[ Edited ]

@crawford5153I think that cape on LR's site was a final sale item, it was 50% off (which is rare) normally $89.  But yes, it looked very similar to this GILI (the GILI one has far more colors available).

Valued Contributor

@Favorite Son wrote:

I pondered this for a while, because I have been hunting for something to wear over winter coats on my daily commute - driving, standing in cold waiting on public transit, sitting on public transit with less than optimal heating.  My upper arms and shoulders are always cold, no matter what coat I wear. 

I finally decided against the cape because I located a Martha Stewart ruana on eBay for a silly low price, the seller shipped it lickety split, and it arrived Friday.  While I don't own any of the previous versions of this GILI cape, I think the ruana is a better value and more functional, for the following reasons:

1. Fabric content - that GILI cape is loaded with acrylic, a cheap filler fiber that doesn't wash or wear well.  Acrylic = pilling.  The cape also doesn't look terribly warm.  The Martha Stuart ruana is heavy and very warm, which is exactly what I was looking for.

2. Style - I find the glossy snaps offputting and that mock neck would really annoy me.

3.  General hassle factor - getting into and out of the cape is not easy.  All those snaps need to be treated with some care - you can't just grab and pull without supporting the edge of the snap, since they are pounded into knit (even though it is somewhat stabilized with ribbon).  There's also just the general pain-in-the-arse factor with getting it snapped up and then having it lay flat.  If you notice the video, any time there is much movement of the models or the host, a rumple develops that has to be pulled down.  I prefer the ease throwing the ruana across my back, one flip over the shoulder, and I am ready to go and warm at the same time.

I really like the olive color of the cape, but I wouldn't pay $50 for something with so many factors that don't suit my requirements or lifestyle.

Favorite son, did you get the Martha Stewart reversible one? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think this is cute but I wouldn't get any use out of it.  Capes just bug me.  LOL

I'd have a very small window of being able to wear this as outerwear here in Ohio.  It's not something I could wear under a coat and I'm certainly not going to carry a cape with me and put it on once I take off my coat.  It's also not something I could wear to work.  It would just get in the way.

Honored Contributor

What is really amusing is GILI was on in the early morning one program after another.  I have never seen that before.  On at midnight and up to 5 am.  It's not my cup of tea so it is an easy pass.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I love capes and wear them often.  This one however, looks kind of prissy to me.   The neckline is weird and it's too short.  I much prefer a funkier look.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

What is really amusing is GILI was on in the early morning one program after another.  I have never seen that before.  On at midnight and up to 5 am.  It's not my cup of tea so it is an easy pass.

@Katcat1, QVC has decided to do reruns all night long so I'm not sure if it's happening every night but a number of nights the entire overnight hours are a repeat of the TSV. 

Trusted Contributor

Nope not for me...I'd feel like Mary Poppins.  All you need is an umbrella.

Trusted Contributor

It reminds me of when the nurse honor guard stands so beautifully at the funerals of nurses in our community.  They wear their navy blue capes and line the center aisle of the church before the service and during the processional.  It's a beautiful tribute. My niece died just a year out of nursing school and I was so moved by their presence at her funeral.  

But I wouldn't wear one.  

Honored Contributor

Count me out.  I'm not interested at all.  Interestingly,  yesterday Lisa Robertson was wearing the version of this same cape that she is selling.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@crawford5153 wrote:

It seems Lisa  Robertson has one on her website in gray and black and it sold out.  Was $44.00 there.

I have never ordered anything from her site at all.  Has anyone else?

Edited to remove link

I think it would look nice belted also.

oh yes!  with the OBE belt Woman LOL