Esteemed Contributor

Re: TSV 10/14 Gili by Jill Martin sweater cape...

If you are short, it will not be flattering. It will come down to your knees and look like a coat.

Respected Contributor

I pondered this for a while, because I have been hunting for something to wear over winter coats on my daily commute - driving, standing in cold waiting on public transit, sitting on public transit with less than optimal heating.  My upper arms and shoulders are always cold, no matter what coat I wear. 

I finally decided against the cape because I located a Martha Stewart ruana on eBay for a silly low price, the seller shipped it lickety split, and it arrived Friday.  While I don't own any of the previous versions of this GILI cape, I think the ruana is a better value and more functional, for the following reasons:

1. Fabric content - that GILI cape is loaded with acrylic, a cheap filler fiber that doesn't wash or wear well.  Acrylic = pilling.  The cape also doesn't look terribly warm.  The Martha Stuart ruana is heavy and very warm, which is exactly what I was looking for.

2. Style - I find the glossy snaps offputting and that mock neck would really annoy me.

3.  General hassle factor - getting into and out of the cape is not easy.  All those snaps need to be treated with some care - you can't just grab and pull without supporting the edge of the snap, since they are pounded into knit (even though it is somewhat stabilized with ribbon).  There's also just the general pain-in-the-arse factor with getting it snapped up and then having it lay flat.  If you notice the video, any time there is much movement of the models or the host, a rumple develops that has to be pulled down.  I prefer the ease throwing the ruana across my back, one flip over the shoulder, and I am ready to go and warm at the same time.

I really like the olive color of the cape, but I wouldn't pay $50 for something with so many factors that don't suit my requirements or lifestyle.

Respected Contributor

Acrylic is a deal breaker for me.  I have had horrible luck with this fabric and have not bought it in many years.  The pilling!  Yuck!  But I kind of like the style!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

I am actually thinking of getting it for my Mom! She is always cold, and this would be great for her in church. 

Valued Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

Who is getting it? A368018

I'm on the fence and want to decide before the end of the day with the FREE S&H.

The one I would choose is the burgundy, but I'm leaning toward not getting it though. I keep asking myself how often would I actually wear it...which is what is keeping me from pushing the submit button.

Mary is wearing it on the KitchenAid show now and I'm not overly impressed...Hmmm.

I'm glad you asked this. I was pondering it too. I LOVE capes, and this year have wanted to wear them. I bought a wool cape on Amazon and the slits for my arms are too small -- like too low on the cape, so I'm going to have to adjust it on my sewing machine. In the meantime, this came on QVC, and I really loved it right away. It has a military look to it. I am 5'10" and I notice it looks really nice on the taller models. So after reading this thread, I decided to go for it. I bought the navy. I think it will look nice with jeans, boots, and a white shirt or a turtleneck.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not a fan of this fashion line and the snaps were offputting to me. I have other capes that I have bought in the past and I like them. I loaned one of mine to an older relative who had broken her arm and couldn't get her arm into a coat with the cast on. Since the weather had turned colder, the cape worked great as she could put it around herself and it kept her warm.

Honored Contributor

If anyone is considering it dont let the naysayers stop you from getting it.  IMO I like it and is is very classy looking and not the same old, same old.  For me if it had sleeves or the arm area was sown down I would like it and order it.  But then it would not be a cape.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

On the TSV forum someone brought up several good points that made me decide NO.

1.  you can not easily have a hand bag strap  over your shoulder( deal breaker)

2.  it looks to wrinkle easily 

3.  one lady said she had a very similar cape and NEVER wears it....even though cute 

4.  you would be adjusting it all day

Honored Contributor

I had a lovely cape gifted to me by my mother when I was younger and it was very beautiful with the right attire.  That was when I did more evening things, going to the theater, going to cocktail parties, business and political events.  I no longer do so many of those things so I have no place for a cape.

The right cape, on the right person, in the right place, is quite lovely.  I think these capes they are selling could be worn in many places, from sporting events, to church, evening events. They are quite lovely.  They do, however, look much better on the tall girls than the short ones.  I hardly think seeing one on Amy Strand, as glamorous as she is, or the new Courtney would encourage sales as they are too short for this look.  JMHO.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

It seems Lisa  Robertson has one on her website in gray and black and it sold out.  Was $44.00 there.

I have never ordered anything from her site at all.  Has anyone else?

Edited to remove link 

I think it would look nice belted also.