Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday   The smaller stores that specialize in more conservative clothing that have regular customers that want that sort of thing  can effectively  sell those more conservative clothing items.  They stock only a few items in clothing sizes that they know appeals to their customers.  It's common sense.  That is why the most common sizes in these smaller stores are hard to find.  

Frequent Contributor

I have purchased several pair of trousers from H&M for fall.

Respected Contributor
I have trousers that I bought from QVC. I don’t need many, so I have the basics - navy, black and brown. I have some nice houndstooth ones from IM that I bought a few years ago and they still look great.

I do like to have nice pants / trousers in my wardrobe.
Honored Contributor

I like having trousers, dress pants, slacks (whatever you want to call them) in my wardrobe. I don't own as many as I used to when I was working, but I still wear them sometimes to church, events, and places when I want something nicer then a jean, but don't want to wear a dress.

I buy most of mine at local department stores so I can try them on first. Getting a good fit in a tailored woven pant is much more difficult than in a stretchy pant with an elastic waist. I like the trousers at Chadwick's, and since I know my size with them, I can order with confidence that they will work. Wherever I buy them, sometimes I still need to get my tailor to take in the waist for a perfect fit though. 

Trusted Contributor

I love a wide leg trouser. I just think they look elegant when paired with a pointy toed shoe peeking from underneath and a slim fitting top. 

Honored Contributor

I like a slimmer leg pant/trouser in a more drapey fabric.  I could use a few pair for heels.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday  The boutique shops here tend to carry what's newer in fashion.... unusual jackets and tops and accessories.

It's the dept. stores that keep purchasing the "sure to sell", same styles.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@Nonametoday   The smaller stores that specialize in more conservative clothing that have regular customers that want that sort of thing  can effectively  sell those more conservative clothing items.  They stock only a few items in clothing sizes that they know appeals to their customers.  It's common sense.  That is why the most common sizes in these smaller stores are hard to find.  

@Pook   I find the opposite to be true. The smaller stores tend to carry items that are not conservarive. They usually have some items you can't find anywhere else...That's where I go to find unusual clothing I can't find elsewhere. 

I not only found my trousers there, but a sweater with a cute stripe on one shoulder, a black suede belt with gorgeous engraved buckle w/ "turquoise" stones and a copy of an Hermes scarf. Yes, they do carry less, but that's where I find something no one else is wearing. 

Big stores cannot take the chance of having those more unusual items that are also more expensive. 

Honored Contributor

My favorite style pants.  Never go out of style for me.  

The problem with trousers for older women I see is the waist that isn't elastic making them too hard to fit.  They also might be too dressy for overly casual Americans; however, I have seen chinos in this style.  I have two pairs of denim trousers, not easy to find though.  .  

For those unfamiliar with trousers/slacks from Ralph Lauren.

The hems look good straight or with a break as in the second example.  I think the third is too long.  

Ralph Lauren Collection Stamford Glen Plaid Wool Twill Pant 1

Ralph Lauren Collection Stamford Glen Plaid Wool Twill Pant 2

Ralph Lauren Collection Stamford Wool Gabardine Pant 1Ralph Lauren Collection Stamford Wool Gabardine Pant 1Ralph Lauren Collection Stamford Wool Gabardine Pant 1

Ralph Lauren Collection Stamford Wool Gabardine Pant 2

Ralph Lauren Collection Andela Wool-Blend Pant 1Ralph Lauren Collection Andela Wool-Blend Pant 1

Ralph Lauren.

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee   I love the trousers you posted. I don't understand why you assume at 74 I'd need an elastic waist for fit?