Honored Contributor

TOPS: CREW NECK, V NECK, SCOOP NECK, ETC.?

[ Edited ]

During my quest for sweaters w/ color, I’m also deciding which neckline I prefer. V necks are nice, if size petite, otherwise way too low cut. The same w/ scoop necks. I have many crew neck sweaters, but at this age, now feel that “opening” up that area is more flattering. I’ve decided on a modified scoop neck or more open crew.

Which neckline do you prefer?

Honored Contributor

Re: TOPS: CREW NECK, V NECK, SCOOP NECK, ETC.?

I like a variety of necklines. just like I like a variety of materials. and styles..I could never stand to look like I am wearing a uniform

Trusted Contributor

i’ve always liked tight crew necks, mock necks, turtlenecks. i can wear a v, but it has to be cut high. i just don’t feel comfortable in anything else. 

Honored Contributor

V necks in warm weather, turtlenecks in cold and boat necks all year.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus  My favorite is the same as yours.  I think a modified (not too low) scoop neck is the most flattering on me.  Some v necks just look too severe .  Crew necks and turtle necks are both awful looking on my short neck.

ETA:  I forgot about boat necks.  They are my second favorite.  They open me up and I think gives a slimmer look.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Shanus  My favorite is the same as yours.  I think a modified (not too low) scoop neck is the most flattering on me.  Some v necks just look too severe .  Crew necks and turtle necks are both awful looking on my short neck.

ETA:  I forgot about boat necks.  They are my second favorite.  They open me up and I think gives a slimmer look.

@haddon9  Yes. I think as I examined the modified scoop or anything that moves down & away from tight on my neck, draws attention away from the sagging beginning to occur. I can’t do a turtleneck w/ my petite frame. It looks like a head just sitting on shoulders. Not good.

Thanks for replying.

Esteemed Contributor

A modified scoop is nice, as is a boatneck.  A rounded vee is nice but not as easy to find.  Some cowl necks work well, as long as they aren't sloppy. I used to wear turtlenecks, decades ago;  not now.  I often wear a scarf and pin when I don't love the neckline.

Honored Contributor

I really like boat neck but I have all kinds of different style necklines.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I have discovered that whether or not a neckline is flattering has a lot to do with whether you have a long neck or a short neck, whether your shoulders are broad or narrow and often, a combination of the two.  I have a long neck and narrow shoulders so anything too low makes me look like a giraffe. I need a higher neckline like a crewneck or a mockneck and a defined shoulder.  Also, scarves look great on me, whereas my friend (who has a very short neck) hates them because she says she feels "smothered" in them. I wish I could wear lower necklines because my neck still looks pretty good, as does my collarbone,  but they just don't work for me. 

Trusted Contributor

I couldn't agree more with the person who posted this. I feel exactly the same. I have one sweater that is a v-neck and I feel cold in that spot so I put a shirt under it. I also have some dark wintery colored Isaac pima tee shirts with v-necks and I have to wear a scarf with them even in the house they feel a little breezy. 

I am also petite and find some v-necks and scoop necks can be too deep for me and it seems off somehow.