Respected Contributor

Re: THE CONSTANT STORIES.....WILL THEY EVER END???

I don't get the complaints. These hosts are doing their job. Just turn the station or go on line..read the specifics along with reviews ..

I can't imagine listening for hours anyway much less what kind of presentation do you need on a pair of shoes. I can look at them and decide if they are for me..then I want to know the reviews..true to size?? That is about it.

That said they are doing a job they are hired to do..chit chat..fill time..and so many listen to these stories and think they are their friend.  What can be said for shoes..other than the basics..

The items usually cost more unless it is a special purchase made for the channel..I see they lure them in with easy pay along with thinking the host is their buddy and they have four in storage and gift closet etc.

You have the overhead on the shopping stations..the cost of the sets..props..hosts salary benefits..and the top brass making mucho dollars..

Honored Contributor

They have to finish in time for an hourly show.  They speed it up talking very fast or they slow it down to fill the show with inane speech.  Perils of live TV.

Honored Contributor

They will end when QVC stop making a profit and the stories are linked to the cause for a loss. Profits, however, are up.

Honored Contributor

The only reason I can think of why anyone would be bothered hearing nice stories about a host's family etc  would be if they are so jealous of that person's life that it upsets them to hear about it. I enjoy hearing my friend's discuss their kids & grandkids etc. and I enjoy hearing Jane discuss her family as well. MBR discusses her kids as do both Dans - Rick, PJD, Jane Brown and just about all the other hosts. 

Valued Contributor

JRT is a legend in her own mind.  I'm not jealous of her or anyone.

When I tune into a TV shopping show, I do it to watch, maybe buy something.  I don't tune in to make an imaginary friend & care about the comings & goings w/her or her family.

Trusted Contributor

151949, sorry to say this but you are so mistaken.  Why would anyone be jealous or upset hearing about Jane's life?  I, myself and I'm sure many others on these forums, come from loving families.  I was always blessed with receiving support and having conversations with my family members.  I've traveled the world but I never brag to people about it.  I'm stating this now only because of your statement about being jealous of her life.  I have absolutely no reason to be jealous of Jane's life or anyone's life for that matter.

Of course, many people discuss their family life with their friends. That's normal because they are your friends who know you personally and  you share your lives with them. Jane is NOT my friend and it gets to be a bit overwhelming when you tune in to see something you're interested in, waiting to  hear details and seeing the item on the models but instead have to hear the endless family stories and then hear her say we don't have time for the presentation.

I, personally, don't want to hear Jane's constant stories about her family because it's a shopping channel not a talk show nor is it a "'This is Your Life" show.   I  understand and certainly don't mind when a host occasionally mentions something about their family or what they did but with Jane its constant bragging on every show, throughout the show.  Other hosts may mention their families once in awhile, which I think is normal but when a host says she doesn't have time for a presentation because she's talked so much about her personal life, I think that is completely wrong and uncalled for and when there's not enough time for presentations, I don't know why the Q allows this to happen.  

Trusted Contributor

I'm sure the reason that profits are up has nothing to do with Jane's family stories.  

Respected Contributor

I agree it's overdone.  I know they have to fill up air time, but it does get kind of repetitive and nonsensical sometimes.

My opinion is that they are trying to "develop that relationship" with the viewers.  You know, make you feel that you are part of their inner circle, like they are chit chatting with you.

It promotes that familiarity and you might be more inclined to buy if you think it's your best friend who's selling to you.

That's jmo.  It's all psychological.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

The only reason I can think of why anyone would be bothered hearing nice stories about a host's family etc  would be if they are so jealous of that person's life that it upsets them to hear about it. I enjoy hearing my friend's discuss their kids & grandkids etc. and I enjoy hearing Jane discuss her family as well. MBR discusses her kids as do both Dans - Rick, PJD, Jane Brown and just about all the other hosts. 

***This illustrates my point.  The connection to "friend"....

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I am one of those who doesn't enjoy hearing too much about their personal life..  A few tidbits here and there, but when it gets long and drawn out or too much, it's a turnoff.

I can assure you that if you knew me, you would know that there is no possible reason for me to be jealous of anyone.  And I'm sure that applies to others here as well.  Smiley Happy