Honored Contributor

Please explain this compared to a long cardi. I’m not seeing much difference.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus

The construction is completely different.  

A cardigan is typically made back, two fronts and two sleeves that are sewn together.

A cocoon is knitted/crocheted in a large rectange,  folded in a certain way to make "sleeves" and then a border (and sometimes pockets) added.  

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   I thought a cocoon shape was rounded at the hem in the back and a shawl collar in the front.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: THE COCOON?

[ Edited ]

This is what I think...

....a cocoon sweater is basically a circular piece with little or no sleeves for your arms and is unstructured, shapeless.

....a cardigan usually has sleeves and has some kind of constructed hemline rather than just a curved round shapeless thing.

This is a cocoon:

images.jpg

Respected Contributor

Re: THE COCOON?

[ Edited ]

I don't know if you're talking about a specific item, but a cocoon top is usually done with a rounded hemline instead of a traditional cardigan's squared hemline and sometimes has rounded sides. The shape means it pulls close to you around the bottom and sometimes the sides instead of hanging at the sides. If they fit correctly, they can be really chic. When they don't fit correctly, they can look more like a butt hammock.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

This is what I think...

....a cocoon sweater is basically a circular piece with little or no sleeves for your arms and is unstructured, shapeless.

....a cardigan usually has sleeves and has some kind of constructed hemline rather than just a curved round shapeless thing.

This is a cocoon:

images.jpg

@SilleeMee So more in the shrug category?

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

I don't know if you're talking about a specific item, but a cocoon top is usually done with a rounded hemline instead of a traditional cardigan's squared hemline and sometimes has rounded sides. The shape means it pulls close to you around the bottom and sometimes the sides instead of hanging at the sides. If they fit correctly, they can be really chic. When they don't fit correctly, they can look more like a butt hammock.

@Alison Wonderland  Butt hammock. Lol 😂 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

This is what I think...

This is a cocoon:

images.jpg

@SilleeMee So more in the shrug category?

totally different from a shrug. a shrug usually only covers the upper part of the body.

most of the cocoon toppers i have have full sleeves (short, long, and 3/4)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus

It's more like a shrug in its shape. I have a fuzzy one in a black and white plaid.

cocoon.jpg

Mine is shorter and not nearly as much fabric but it's about the shape.

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo. OK. Beginning to see a difference. 🤗