Respected Contributor

Re: Sword and Plough on Evine

Really enjoyed the show.  I was really moved by the ladies and impressed!!! I bought the large tote in the blue version. Couldn't think of a better thing to buy today! I will carry it with pride. God bless!

Honored Contributor

@islandgrrl wrote:

Did they mention what percentage of the proceeds would be donated? As a former military kid I like the idea a great deal but hope it is a significant level and not just a marketing strategy. Having said that, I love this little number:

image.jpeg

This bag is made of recycled fabric - probably got it for next to nothing. It is selling for $238.43. And they do not even make a point of employing vets - except it is owned by a vet. Sorry. Not for me. NO THANKS. If they would say that they make every effort to hire vets in all positions - I would consider it , but this just sounds like a scam that plays on peoples emotions.

Esteemed Contributor

I was anticipating this debut for weeks.  The bags are really beautiful and I plan on purchasing some.  Great company!  Thank you to all our Vets and their families for all your service.

Esteemed Contributor

RE: Hiring Vets. From their website:

Sword & Plough supports and creates veteran job opportunities within our own company and also within our suppliers and partners. Additionally, we support veteran entrepreneurship by partnering with veteran owned businesses. Sword & Plough is proud to support veteran employment in the following ways:

+ We hired our full-time Operations Director directly out of the U.S. Army.

+ The Warehouse Manager of our primary manufacturing facility in Colorado served in the U.S. Navy.

+ Our T-shirt screen printer, based in Oklahoma, is owned and operated by an Army veteran.

+ Sword & Plough has employed two U.S. Air Force veterans and seven U.S. Army veterans as fashion models.

+ Our leather cutting and leather equipment supply partner based in Colorado is owned and operated by a veteran.

+ Our Repurposed Pocket Tees are produced through a pilot veteran job training program started by Krys Manufacturing in Philadelphia.

+ Since 2013, Sword & Plough has created online job postings to recruit veteran sewers and quality assurance positions for one of our manufacturers in Colorado. We have secured interviews for numerous veterans, resulting in three paid positions for veterans: a full-time sewing position for one female veteran of the U.S. Navy, a part-time sewing position for a male veteran of the U.S. Navy, and a full-time quality assurance position for a male veteran of the U.S. Army (military police), with the possibility of promotion to a quality assurance management role.

+ Sword & Plough attended the 2015 Hiring Our Heroes job fair in Denver to recruit veterans for our manufacturing and warehousing partners in Colorado. Those partners are currently interviewing veterans for roles in quality control and quality assurance (QCQA), fulfillment, warehouse operations and sewing.

+ All Sword & Plough long boards are made by our partners at KOTA Long Boards in Denver, which is owned by a U.S. Navy veteran and employs two additional veterans in full-time manufacturing roles.

+ Sword & Plough contracts with two active duty soldiers in the U.S. Army for product design and prototyping services.

+ Sword & Plough made a job offer for a strategy and business development role to a U.S. Navy veteran and graduate of Notre Dame School of Business.

+ The founders of Sword & Plough are active on the ACP Advisor Net – a national professional network for veterans in which S&P founders offer mentorship and career advice to help veterans launch and build careers.

+ Sword & Plough chooses to do its banking (and related financial services) with a regional bank that has shown strong support to the veteran community. The bank employs 78 veterans in nine states. Locally in Colorado, the bank employs four U.S. military veterans. We are proud to work with a local bank that tracks and values its employment of military veterans, and connects with the social mission of Sword & Plough.

+ Our primary investor, Alan Hassenfeld, is a veteran of the United States Air Force.

+ Our CEO currently serves in the U.S. Army as an active duty 1st Lieutenant based in Ft. Carson, Colorado.

+ S&P founders offer entrepreneurship advice and mentorship to veterans with new business ideas.

I think they do a pretty good job!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I agree MaggieMack, I think they are doing a great job working with Veterans and active duty service members.
"To each their own, in all things".
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@islandgrrl wrote:

Did they mention what percentage of the proceeds would be donated? As a former military kid I like the idea a great deal but hope it is a significant level and not just a marketing strategy. Having said that, I love this little number:

image.jpeg

This bag is made of recycled fabric - probably got it for next to nothing. It is selling for $238.43. And they do not even make a point of employing vets - except it is owned by a vet. Sorry. Not for me. NO THANKS. If they would say that they make every effort to hire vets in all positions - I would consider it , but this just sounds like a scam that plays on peoples emotions.

after being given all the information on this company, who they employ, how they repurpose items that would just be cast off into a landfill, you still make this kind of statement. What a cheap shot at a small business trying to do good things. here is more information from their webiste. Looks like they stand behind their products, not a scam. I do believe you have no filters that make you stop and think before you go ahead and say something out loud .

We also guarantee our workmanship with a lifetime warranty. We will repair replace your product should it get damaged at any time over the course of its life. 

By incorporating veterans into every stage of the business (as designers, managers, sewers, quality control experts and even models), the company could empower veteran employment.

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Honored Contributor

I caught the tail end of the presenation; beautiful pieces.

Apparently the Evine Live CEO's mother saw the girls on good morning america and told her son that he should be helping them sell their product because she loved their mission statement. He then contacted them and the rest they say is history!

Good on mom!

Respected Contributor

@Sunnycorle wrote:

Really enjoyed the show.  I was really moved by the ladies and impressed!!! I bought the large tote in the blue version. Couldn't think of a better thing to buy today! I will carry it with pride. God bless!

I got the Tote today and I love it.  I am going to start carrying it right away,