Honored Contributor

I just don't like anything about that dress.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday 

I've had very expensive sweaters that made me itch. 

I think it just depends on your skin and the fiber.

Cashmere, Merino wool, Alpaca....it all makes my skin itch.

Only a pure cotton or silk didn't bother me.

Trusted Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

I wore sweater dresses in the distant past.  I was a size 4 by the standard of that day which was probably a size 0 by today's standard.  I did not wear cheap, itchy.  I wore Jonathan Logan for a good part of my wardrobe which was classic and not inexpensive.  It was not Coco Chanel (but even Coco Chanel back then was not geared to the elitists as it is today).

P.S.  The sweater dresses I wore were not this gargantuan balloon look. They were tailored, with a waistline and made similar to a shirtdress.  I do not think anyone looks good in this dress.  I think it is a very casual, comfortable look.  I think it is okay to wear when you want to be at your most comfortable casual, but for dress-up, no.

Not all cheap is itchy. Not all expensive is not itchy

I had a mohair sweater dress that I bought at Bergdorf in the 70s. I would hardly call it it cheap at several hundred dollars back then. It was brutally itchy. 🙃 But, I looked fabulous! I don't suffer for beauty anymore. 😉

Honored Contributor

I just bought cashmere/silk blend sweater dress a few weeks ago.  It's fitted, though, not the slouchy one Taylor is wearing which I don't like.  I like a big slouchy sweater sometimes, but I don't want a big slouchy sweater dress.

Honored Contributor

Not really a fan of this baggy sweater dress. Like the color though. I had a couple of form fitting sweater dresses when I was in my 20s - 40s. I wore mine with tights and boots. Not sure I could pull that look off now. 

Esteemed Contributor

One of my most favorite dresses is a whisper knit dress by Linea. I get compliments whenever I wear it. I bought all thee colors. I don't have a call to wear dresses that often ... but I find reasons to wear this dress.

In fall and winter I wear w/ boots and tights. In early spring I wear w/ wedge sandals. I love, love, love this dress. It hangs so nicely and falls away from body enough that no jiggles (as if I had any) show. Smiley Happy 

Linea knit dress.png

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I just bought cashmere/silk blend sweater dress a few weeks ago.  It's fitted, though, not the slouchy one Taylor is wearing which I don't like.  I like a big slouchy sweater sometimes, but I don't want a big slouchy sweater dress.

@QueenDanceALot 

I like oversized fisherman's sweaters and enjoy wearing them with/without a shirt underneath. I agree with you, however, I do not want/like a big slouchy sweater dress.  I am sure she paid a lot of money for this but there are many things that look better. 

Honored Contributor

I have one I got from Marla. It is close to the body, but not tight. It doesn't have sleeves that fall over my hands. It is a classic, and I will get many years of wear from it

Honored Contributor

Nah--looks sloppy and too much for her tiny self

Honored Contributor

I've always liked sweater dresses, as long as they're not form-fitting.

Soft knit fabric, draping down, and only skimming the body.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).