Honored Contributor

Sweater Inspired Wedding Dress

Brides dot com

Agreat-grandmother—80-year-old Shirley Ellicott, who lives near Salisbury, England—tied the knot years ago, but she’s always dreamt of knitting a wedding dress. “I’ve had the inkling to make a wedding dress for years,” she told the BBC on January 29, 2024. “It’s what they call now: bucket list.” Ellicott has been creating garments with yarn ever since she was five years old, when she first taught herself how to knit. Now, it’s her favorite pastime. “I knit, I sew, I crochet—whatever I can do with my hands, I will have a go at,” she explained. "But that is my passion: knitting.”

When the annual show that takes place in her local village came around, Ellicott decided to make an original knitted frock by hand, which she planned on entering in the event. “We used to have a show every year—a village show—and I didn’t have anything to put in,” she said. “So, Ken—my husband—he said to me, ‘Why don’t you make that wedding dress you keep on taking about.’ I said, ‘OK.’”

After Ellicott bought all of the materials, she got to work. The project took her three weeks to complete. The final product? A cotton sweater-inspired wedding dress featuring long sleeves, a trail of flower-shaped buttons along the front (which can also be worn in the back), and ruffled detailing along the collar. According to the BBC, the garment has more than 1,000 stitches. Now, the dress is for sale at a local charity shop near Salisbury, and all of the proceeds will go to charity.

2fdb34baf4d59af3202eebd50afdc90d.webp.jpgdf8947f5d7560134b8c4ebce92d9e438.webp.jpg

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Re: Sweater Inspired Wedding Dress

It's interesting to see and I'm glad she tried it.  Her work is beautiful, but I don't care for the dress as a bridal garment. It's pretty much shapeless and I  think it wouldn't do anything to flatter anyone.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like it. But I couldn't wear it if I was having an out door wedding in the Summer. I would fill up buckets with sweat.

Respected Contributor

I am impressed that she completed the dress in three weeks.  It does not look like an easy design to make.

Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21    How wonderful!!!  I think the dress is beautiful too!  I can't believe she was able to finish it in three weeks.  I'd never be able to make something so intricate.  Thanks so much for sharing this nice, uplifting story.😊💝💕

Honored Contributor

Looks like something the pioneers on the prairie would have worn...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

She is very talented  and her dress is lovely, but doesn't look much like a wedding gown.

When I first saw it, I thought it was a tablecloth she was holding up in her hands.

Esteemed Contributor

That only took her 3 weeks? that's amazing! I wouldn't have been able to do something that intricate in 3 years!

It's lovely to look at and I hope that it raises lots of $$ for charity. Congratulations to her for finishing an item on her bucket list & for a worthy cause.

Trusted Contributor

It's so pretty and unique. I could definitely see this at a winter wedding in the mountains, with snow all around. Someone tall and thin could carry this off. I hope someone sees it and buys it!

Kudos to the designer- 3 weeks is a pretty amazing feat.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow....three weeks is quite a feat for something so intricate.  It's not necessarily my thing but I'm sure there are others who would like and wear this.  I hope a lot of money gets raised for charity!!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown