Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Jaspersmom  I love accents from other parts of the country....I'm in the midwest, our accent does not amount to much.

@Mom2Dogs 

Oh yeah?! Tell that to the Coen brothers...

Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

@momto2dogs   I have been told I have a Nasal tone as a Midwesterner from a man who is Texan and my friend in Kansas said I spoke like a Yankee?  I guess we do have a twang. I have lived in Minnesota and Wisconsin all my life. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Jaspersmom  Nebraskan here. I also serve soda and have bedroom suites. Doesn't everyone? However, I do pronounce shirring and shearing differently because there is a big difference between the two!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Re: Susan Graver

[ Edited ]

She mispronounces a lot of words; I just don’t watch her. Can’t stand when she says “ lenth of pants“ instead of length.

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

She mispronounces a lot of words; I just don’t watch her. Can’t stand when she says “ lenth of pants“ instead of length.

That, too, is a regional pronunciation.

Esteemed Contributor

@jonbon  We lived in Pittsburg and Philadelphia, among other cities in the country. Not sure I remember hearing length (or strength) spoken without the "g" in either of those words. However, we were in communities where higher education, the arts and community service were valued; becoming a fashionista as a career was not a high priority. Grammar and manners were very important. Isn''t PA where Susan Graver lives? Certainly she's been around the rest of the US and realizes the majority of the country does not drop the "g".  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady wrote:

@jonbon  We lived in Pittsburg and Philadelphia, among other cities in the country. Not sure I remember hearing length (or strength) spoken without the "g" in either of those words. However, we were in communities where higher education, the arts and community service were valued; becoming a fashionista as a career was not a high priority. Grammar and manners were very important. Isn''t PA where Susan Graver lives? Certainly she's been around the rest of the US and realizes the majority of the country does not drop the "g".  

Isn't she from New York? I've heard other designers on QVC pronounce it "lenth" as well. People don't drop all regional accents just because they move to another area, and highly educated people from "communities where higher education, the arts and community service are valued" can speak in ways that may not be "vanilla" English. (Also, Susan's career is far more than "becoming a fashionista" -- like her stuff or not, she is a fashion designer, and a very successful one at that.)

Honored Contributor

Susan is from and lives on Long Island NY.

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

What an arrogant and misconceived opinion.

Regional accents are just one of the things that make this country delightful.  They have nothing to do with education or "acceptable" employment. 

@BirkiLady , I noticed, in another post you said you "cringered". Is that a regional mispronunciation of cringed?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Come on ,we are all just folks here. I accept my friends warts and all ,and they accept me the same way

Any one of us ,that had a job ,where you were required to be on the air , a lot of the time ,would also get tons of insults. So ,if any of you feel that you wouldn't, I have a bridge to sell you