Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@jonbon  We lived in Pittsburg and Philadelphia, among other cities in the country. Not sure I remember hearing length (or strength) spoken without the "g" in either of those words. However, we were in communities where higher education, the arts and community service were valued; becoming a fashionista as a career was not a high priority. Grammar and manners were very important. Isn''t PA where Susan Graver lives? Certainly she's been around the rest of the US and realizes the majority of the country does not drop the "g".  

@BirkiLady, I hope among this elevated class of people, some are humble and open to others' ways.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

OP’s first post— nice! 

I read somewhere that if a person mispronounces a word, it means they first read it & never heard anyone say it. 

Our accents make us who we are — diverse Americans.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

I guess I can't watch her long enough to know what she mispronounces! 

Esteemed Contributor

What bothers me more is adding the "R" to the end of names, like "Brendar" and other words, which escape me a the moment.  I totally know that is an accent and a lot of people do it.  But the words are not spelled that way.  I wonder how that ever started.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@Ms tyrion2  It was a typo, which was corrected. Are you perfect??

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

People may strive for perfection, but reading through this thread proves no one ever really achieves it, so why worry about pronunciation?

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Valued Contributor

Fo me, it's when Susan says "Ralph Lur-IN" instead of "Ralph LAUR-en"....drives me crazy, although not as crazy as when I see Sandra Bennett and Susan on air together. Yikes!  One of them talking is bad enough, but they both talk at the same time for an entire hour. Louder and louder, faster and faster!!! WHAT are they saying, if anything? I mute, yes. 

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Absolutely not, @BirkiLady .

I am also not being hyper-critical of regional speech patterns or career choices.

Contributor

Because some care about things being correct, acuurate. It's a standard some have and when it is not followed, it drives us crazy. That's why. It's like a woman I know who says, "I seen" and "thatta way". It matters. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Diva on The Q wrote:

Shirring...shearing...what does it matter??? Smiley Indifferent

@Diva on The Q   "ditto"