Occasional Visitor

I just wish someone would correct Susan Graver’s pronunciation of the word shirring.  She says shearing,which means to shear or cut.  To shir or shirring means to whirl or gather as some of her details do.  As the designer she claims to be, she should know the meaning of fashion details.  Drives me crazy.

Honored Contributor

Since it's driving you crazy .... why don't you go to her Facebook page and let her know?  Won't do much good telling us about it.

Respected Contributor

I think it’s her New York accent. 

Honored Contributor

It's not a pronunciation its her New York accent.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

I think it’s her New York accent. 

I agree and wonder how children learned to spell with inaccurate pronunciations.

She did correct her pronunciation of the model's name from Brender to Brenda.  That was my "nails on chalkboard" mispronunciation.

Trusted Contributor

@hotflash1 wrote:

I just wish someone would correct Susan Graver’s pronunciation of the word shirring.  She says shearing,which means to shear or cut.  To shir or shirring means to whirl or gather as some of her details do.  As the designer she claims to be, she should know the meaning of fashion details.  Drives me crazy.

Hate to burst your bubble, but we New Yorkers pronounce it "shear-ing" and that's the CORRECT way according to us - LOL!  We also drink SODA and own a bedroom SUITE (sweet).  Ya got a problem with that???  LOLOLOL.

Honored Contributor

@Jaspersmom

@Jaspersmom wrote:

@hotflash1 wrote:

Hate to burst your bubble, but we New Yorkers pronounce it "shear-ing" and that's the CORRECT way according to us - LOL!  We also drink SODA and own a bedroom SUITE (sweet).  Ya got a problem with that???  LOLOLOL.

No problem...I have a long life expectancy.

Trusted Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Jaspersmom

@Jaspersmom wrote:

@hotflash1 wrote:

No problem...I have a long life expectancy.

Gosh, I sure hope everyone realizes I'm just joking around and making fun of my and others' NY accent.  

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

SMH.