Valued Contributor

Re: Susan Graver clothing

[ Edited ]

FRUMPY, WAY overpriced, and her prints are gaudy and old lady.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm thinking that the print of this particular top is just not my style at all, hence the frumpy feeling I get when I put it on.  I can't recall wearing anything that made me feel like that until this item.  LOL  I am trying to expand my fashion taste but prints may not be for me in a lot of cases.  Looking back over my past qvc clothing purchases, I have made quite a few mistakes. 

Why can't some of the colors be as lovely as the logo line?  I think Lori G has it right when it comes to colors (at least for me) and I would love to see other designers use that palette.

Respected Contributor

I have four items from her line that I completely love. They were purchased more recently. I purchased three or four pieces from her line a long time ago that I never wore, and eventually donated. At the time of donation I swore I would never buy another SG piece, but then in the past few years, I really think she sort of turned the line around in terms of styles, but not fabrics. I am looking forward to more improvements in the future. I am like the poster who talked about the 10%. I don't exclusively buy from any line becuse that just doesn't work.

Honored Contributor

Nice clothes, but, with tax and shp. I would have to pay 65.00 for a pair of ordinary pull on pants. I can do better at Dillards and not wait 2 wks to receive.

Respected Contributor

I have to agree with you on the coats , in fact those are the only items of hers I have purchased. I do love them though and frequently receive compliments. I have discovered with the coats of hers and Denim & Co. to size down as they are generously cut. I use the garment mesurement chart also.

I guess frumpy is in the eye of the beholder, but know if a clothing item makes one feel bad it is best to go on to something else when possible.

I have never been one who likes prints much for myself  but I have been tempted by some of her 'placement prints' as I think they look like quality items with thought and art put into them. I just have not wanted to pay $50.++

Occasional Contributor

I agree with you.  Across the board on clothing there is trouble with sizing and quality.  The cost of postage is going up in January.  Meaning the prices will get even higher.  China is having a problem with the manufacturing.  The fabrics are now cheap looking and the  prices are going to keep climbing.  I see that in the Gili line.  The fabrics are less than the real thing and the prices are unrealistic for the quality.  I could buy better at walmart.

Occasional Contributor

Susan does a fantastic job on her brushed back knot pullovers.  If you need something like that, you may want to try A261276; I live in that top this time of year.  Other than that, I am busty and find her tops a little tight on me in that area.  But she also does a great job on maxi skirts,although we haven't seen any of those in awhile.

Honored Contributor

I used to buy SG clothing back in the day when she had more blazer type jackets. She also had some nice tops. I like prints but most of her tops now are just too bold for me. As far as being frumpy - it all depends on how it is styled and put together. I also think hair and makeup can make or break a look in terms of looking older. 

Occasional Contributor

I have been thinking and saying the same thing for years. Her patterns and prints are usually so loud and overbearing to wear in the real world. I find alot of her designs to be aging when worn. Nothing new from her in a long time. Her dresss are great. I own several. Her pants are also great, as she constantly pats herself on the back for. Her jewlery is well priced, but again, can cheapen any outfit. Not always in good taste. Her coats are also great. I own many and love them. I have also noticed her non stop chattering and hard selling tactics on TV to annoy me. I no longer watch her shows, I wait for them to be over, and then review them on line where I can turn the sound on and off when needed. Everyone of her on air shows is selling something of hers. She no longer teaches, she preaches and she sells.I sometimes feel that if she could grab your credit card and wallet through the TV, she would. Woman Tongue

Frequent Contributor

I've been a QVC customer for a long time.  I used to buy quite a bit of items from Susan's line but as soon as the prices for her liquid knits went out of the ballpark for me I moved on to other lines, particularly Isaac Mizrahi who I feel gives you more bang for your buck.

I read with interest about the fit and boxiness of some of Susan's things and it brought to mind two things I experienced:

Once, I remember watching her show and Susan quite unexpectedly, began to turn one of the models around so the viewer could see how the top fit from the back....she spun the girl so fast and then abruptly turned her back to the front when she saw that the entire back of the top was clipped together so the top was more flattering on the model.  Of course nothing was mentioned.....she just moved back to the rack.

I once bought a TSV from Graver that was a two piece set.  Well, I got it home only to discover that while the tank fit me fine, the coordinating top was about three sizes too large!  After waiting a long time on hold with Customer Service (who usually is pretty prompt in helping), I explained why I had to return this item.  The woman asked me if I would like to speak to someone else in the office and I said I would.  The person I spoke with told me that they had never experienced so many returns on an TSV and asked me for specifics.  She told me that what happened was that the models were evidently mixing the tanks and top jacket sizes so they looked better on air.  The woman apologized a few times and said that this was not going to be tolerated and that my item was returned totally at the expense of QVC.  She ended the conversation saying that these TSV's were all destined to go straight to the outlets. 

So I can understand how some clothing items just don't look the same when you get them home!  I have a rule if the item looks good on a certain model, it will look good on me!  Smiley Happy