Honored Contributor

Re: Susan Graver, at $60 each piece, I can't afford your clothes any more

@febe1Some years back, a poster commented that she was guilty of buying clothes for the life she wished to live instead of for the one she actually found herself living.

I bet that over the years I've also wasted lots of money that way.   Fortunately, I haven't done that here at QVC.  In my life, there's no reason for me to buy Louis or Bob Mackie (I did buy a BM silk scarf years and years ago and it's gorgeous still), but overall my life is so casual and my body is so different from the models the men favor that I've stayed away from them.   Still, I don't doubt they work for the many who love them.

As I said in my previous post on this topic, what I buy from Susan may cost a bit more to begin with, but overall the quality has justified the price -  and the styles fit the life I lead.  As I barrel toward being 80, I truly do not expect great changes requiring a new wardrobe.

Honored Contributor

@Sylannewrote:

@Nonametodaywrote:

@NycVixenwrote:

Let me tell you what $60 gets me at Marshalls, TJ Maxx or Burlington.

I bought a designer lace dress for $49.99 from a well known brand. So exquisitely made.  I also got a lace top, a beautiful midi skirt and pair of earrings with a matching ring. Most shoes cost less than $60 and they are name brand. I got a pair of Anne Klein leather pumps for $39.99 when they were $79.99 at Amazon.

For $60, I'm able to get a lot for my money shopping elsewhere for shoes and apparel. SG prices are not realistic outside of QVC. This is why Macy's is turning into a discount chain.

Since last September I have completely revamped my wardrobe by buying from discount stores. The best part is the prices just keep going down. I've gotten some crazy deals on clearance items. It pays to go back and visit brick and mortar stores if you're able to.

Shop around. By the time you add $3.00 S/H and tax for that SG top, you're looking at $70.

this is why I am crying when seeing all the B&M stores going by the wayside.  On-line was once a good buy, no longer.  The shipping will get higher and higher as each store closes its doors.  What some thought was going to be a great thing, not having to find parking or put up with pushy sales clerks, is going to be cheaper quality that we cannot touch until we pay for it, which we will find ourselves sending back time and again.  E-trade only is going to be a nightmare.

This is the reason why almost everything I buy is done in a b/m store.

@Sylanne  Thank you.  I am headed that way also.  Buying more and more from in-store Dillard, Chico and Belk.  I wish I could afford more and more Saks, but I no longer work and cannot justify it.

Honored Contributor

They will charge what the market will bear. So the only way to bring the prices down is to not buy.Unfortunately, as we all know who read this board, there are many women who will pay almost anything  if they want something. When they want something - price be darned - they buy it. That attitude hurts us all. 

Honored Contributor

I'm sure if you want something ,you buy it @151949.....I don't think people should have  to take a survey, before they make a purchase

Honored Contributor

@cherry Well, you'd be wrong then. When I see something that would fill a need in my closet, I assess it's VALUE before I buy it. Price per wearing.Quality. There is quite a lot I WANT but in the end have to say no to because it is not a good enough value for me. I realize this is a foreign concept to many posters on this board, but it is how I live.

I had to work way too hard doing really disgusting things to earn the money in my bank account to take spending it lightly. A great deal of thought goes into every purchase I make.

Honored Contributor

Bully for you. Everyone works hard. I will spend my money the way I see fit, and not the way you think I should

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

Bully for you. Everyone works hard. I will spend my money the way I see fit, and not the way you think I should

And this is exactly WHY the prices keep going up & up.

Honored Contributor

When you pay my bills you can tell me how to live, until then ,I suggest you  worry about yourself, and let others do the same

Honored Contributor

@151949wrote:

@cherrywrote:

And this is exactly WHY the prices keep going up & up.

Nonsense. Work in the industry and you will see the prices go up because the cost of everything goes up over time. Lines of clothing sell based on their quality and name recognition. Prices are not suddenly going to come down because someone's bank account can't withstand the hit and they simply cannot afford something. If that was the case, high end clothing wouldn't even be sold. Theory, my own personal favorite brand wouldn't be sold anywhere and stores like Neiman Marcus would be extinct...

Valued Contributor

Don't forget, you are "wardrobe building" so she expects you to be buying multiple items in the show. "You don't have to spend a fortune to look like a fortune", I've listened to the sales pitch for many years, but I can't keep up with the prices. What I have is what I'm going to have. Maybe her income is going up, but mine hasn't. Back to the local stores for me.