Esteemed Contributor

Re: Surprised to See This in a Catalogue

What goes around, comes around.  I had a double-breasted dress exactly like Dress #2 above back in the 80's except it was red.  Even the pockets with the stick-out flaps on the hips.  Really gave me a shape, if ya know what I mean.  I loved it!

I'm short and I thought the style made me appear taller.  If that's even possible....

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I wore dresses like that in the early 1990's so I will not be revisiting that look.  I doubt that that dress is a trend, rather it's a style that women who wear classic clothes wear.  And wool....good heavens, never in life would I wear a wool dress. 

@chrystaltree  I also had this dress in the 90's (long sleeves).  It was the go-to dress for a lot of the presentations I gave across the northeast for my company.  It was dark navy and looked fantastic!  [not wool though!]

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono

@Caaareful Shopper@tototwo@Snicks1@Snicks1

Have always (in the past) LOVED double-breasted anything or double-row spbutton sailor pants.

(Back in the day, I was flat-chested and tiny through the hips) Who knows what I would look like now, as apparently "menopausal middle" hit. It's baffling!

However, we have been watching movies made in the 90's. Just think "Working Girl." Those were the days of large offices in high-rise skyscrapers. Times have changed?

Those double-breasted Pendleton styles shown could be worn in the business culture without fear of reprisal. They flawlessly accented the "woman" and not her outfit.

When I worked in that world out of Atlanta, my dress could not look like that because my territory included rural areas of GA, AL, NC, SC, and TN. Folks there would accuse me of being a "city-slicker" and a WOMAN in business, no less!

Can't imagine where this type of dress would be necessary, unless one is working in a high-powered career.0?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

The Brooks Brothers 2 piece suit (I assume) is beautiful. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Oooooh that Brooks brother"s is gorgeous classic, and just the style that actually looks good on my body, but geeeesh, that price! Ot of my league.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TY wrote:

Pendleton isn't made in Pendleton, Oregon anymore. I bet this dress is made in China.

The Brooks Brothers sells some clothes made in China too.  Don't think it's only lower priced clothing made in China.  Many very expensive items are assembled there too, even if they import the fabric from Italy.  

Edit note: Just to be factual I checked on the pictured BB shirtdress.  It was made in Portugal with fabric imported from Italy.  

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @lolakimono...just curious...why "surprised?"

Love the BB...saw something similar with long sleeves today on a beautiful Lady.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

Love the BB...saw something similar with long sleeves today on a beautiful Lady.

@MacDUFF

Many reasons-

• It's an "athleisure" society, so this seems a bit formal (and matronly) for how people dress "today."
  • It resembles the uniform of some airlines' flight attendants.
  • 1980s= double breasted- maybe for a coat, but for a dress in 2017?
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono wrote:

@MacDUFF wrote:

@MacDUFF

Many reasons-

• It's an "athleisure" society, so this seems a bit formal (and matronly) for how people dress "today."
  • It resembles the uniform of some airlines' flight attendants.
  • 1980s= double breasted- maybe for a coat, but for a dress in 2017?

@lolakimono

The Pendleton dress looked matronly, but I wouldn't call the BB dress matronly...however, it is a more formal look.  Lots of women still need formal business wear (dresses), and the BB dress would be perfect for a closing statement in the courtroom, a high-powered job interview, or a presentation to the Ladies Auxiliary, and I might wear it to one of those occasions, but I agree double-breasted is best on a coat...preferably a long coat, which I think is somewhat of a classic.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

From Nordstrom...

Topshop dot jacquard "dress"...I'd wear it to work or church...was $90, now $45...

Topshop Dot Jacquard Midi Wrap Dress

Kors "coat dress" (ugh)...$2995...

Michael Kors Wool & Silk Coat Dress