Honored Contributor

Re: Sun glasses

[ Edited ]

@millieshops 

I don't wear Transitions brand plastic lenses. 

My lenses are glass photo gray.  My Opth. recommended them to me about 30 years ago because I'm light sensitive and had an issue with fluorescent lights.   Another vision issue prevents me from wearing plastic lenses.

They are perfectly clear in normal indoor light - darken slightly in fluorescent lighting and get very dark out of doors.   And .. glass lenses don't scratch.

ETA:  most opticians (and almost all chains) don't dispense glass lenses.  

Super Contributor

Silly me got caught up in buying $300.00 name brand sunglasses for my husband.  It was a birthday present and he wanted them.  We went on vacation and he lost them! 

Now I buy $25 sunglasses that are just as nice! Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I won't pay as much for a pair of non-prescription sunglasses as l would for prescription ones. It's just not a good value, IMO.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

@Suxela wrote:

Silly me got caught up in buying $300.00 name brand sunglasses for my husband.  It was a birthday present and he wanted them.  We went on vacation and he lost them! 

Now I buy $25 sunglasses that are just as nice! Smiley Very Happy

@Suxela  My hubs and I are pretty good about hanging onto stuff but after spending $300.00 on sunglasses would be about the time one of us would lose them too!! Bummer for you hubs.   Smiley Sad

*If anyone has the sporting goods store called Big5 near, they always have a rack of very nice glasses, $80-100 in price always on sale for $20.00

Always getting new in and moving others out. It is a great deal and my hubs gets really nice ones there. He goes thru a few pairs a season as he is kinda hard on them. Scratches etc

Honored Contributor

Re: Sun glasses

[ Edited ]

When I get new glasses, I get the old ones tinted for sunglasses.  It might not be the designer look everyone else wants, but I like John Lennon glasses and wear nothing else and have worn this type glasses for 30 years.  I just get new ones every few years if my prescription changes or if I just want new glasses.  I have a pair in gold frames, black frames, sort of a bronze color and a pewter color.  Three of them are now sunglasses and the black ones are my current spectacles.  I have a very small face and these glasses just work for me.  Sort of a signature look.

Honored Contributor

Those lenses that darken in the sun will not work in a car.  Sorry if someone has already posted this.

Respected Contributor
I hate transitions glasses. I always have a pair of prescription sunglasses.
Honored Contributor

I wear these Oakleys. Absolutely NO glare.  Nada.

I can even wear them in rain and knock off the intensity of the brightness and see how to drive.

Oakley Ballistic M Frame Sunglasses.  (On amazon, it says it's men's but it fits my face and I'm average.  Must be for a small man!)

Nose and ear pieces are replaceable.

I also ordered an extra large hard glasses case from another vender.  Perfect!

Image result for oakley ballistic M frame sunglasses

Honored Contributor

I don't really look good in sunglasses.  I have a small face.  90% of sunglasses I see are oversized on me.  Huge.  I have to search for a pair that are for small adult faces.

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird , Oakley sells what they call "Asian fit", which is for smaller faces.  I find I can wear many of the styles, including those, but generally I prefer the regular.

@ECBG Oakleys are the best!  No glare, great acuity, best of all, great fit.  You could go for a run, do a day of landscaping, and then still look great going for a bite to eat.  I wear only Polarized, too.

I find well-made shades are well worth the investment (after years of wearing cheapies, I see the difference).  To me, anyway.

I do love my Transitions lenses, as well.  I'd never have a pair made without those (provided I could always afford it!).

Cogito ergo sum