Valued Contributor

Re: Suggestions needed to organize tons of clothes

@Rock_chick wrote:

Rent a storage unit?  I would think this is a troll post but I see that you have a lengthly posting history.  If you need a process for organizing, flylady has a pretty good one.  KonMarie method is another book/process that might help.  Good luck! 

It took me several years to declutter down to a working wardrobe, and I only had one half closet, chest of drawers and shelving unit full. I think if I had 3 rooms and lots of nice with tags on them, I would take all that to a consignment store. But you know your Sweetie will probably not like that idea at all.

Thank you for the names of books to read.  My daughters may also benefit along with myself from reading them.  May I ask what is a Troll?  

Valued Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

This goes way beyond an organizational, decluttering or downsizing issue.  Please seek professional counseling for yourself and for your fiancée--separately and jointly.

For both of you, mental health and happiness is at stake.

Thank you for your response.  We have started Therapy.  We do go separately and jointly and have made much progress on her items and on my tools and junk in the Shop.    Professional threrapy is a wonderful tool for many reasons in life I have found. 

Valued Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Take one of the spare bedrooms and turn that into a closet.  The entire room.

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Take one of the spare bedrooms and turn that into a closet.  The entire room.

Suggestion of our therapist.   This is a brilliant idea and we can also make it into an area for her to apply her makeup, etc.  

Valued Contributor

@wilma wrote:

Wow! Unless she is ready for a major purge and intervention (and I am not sure she is) you may just have to live with it. If you don't need the space I agree that turning a spare bedroom into another closet might help. 

Thank you for your response Wilma.  Working on making a bedroom at my home into a closet now.   Slowly but surely because racks are expense now and it is college tuition time.  Great idea and when we marry she will have much of her clothing already at my home.

Valued Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

@wilma wrote:

Wow! Unless she is ready for a major purge and intervention (and I am not sure she is) you may just have to live with it. If you don't need the space I agree that turning a spare bedroom into another closet might help. 

That's what I was thinking.  Turn one of the bedrooms into a closet.  Even then there may not be enough room.  Whatever doesn't fit, probably needs to go.  If your fiance is serious about managing her clothes, then she needs to stop buying clothes and wearing what she has.  If she can't do that, for every new item coming in two go.  That will keep her closet in check.

I like the idea of for every item coming in that 2 most go.  I do want her to buy what she wants and don't care what she owns but seeing her depressed over her messy home is upsetting.   It hurts to see anyone disgusted with themselves.  Especially when they are very kind and good hearted.

Valued Contributor

@MarLoCat wrote:

My closests when I hit the Lotto.  Man Surprised    I have become on first name basiis with the employees of The Salvation Army from taking items in.  

Valued Contributor

@namealreadytaken wrote:

My daughter and one of my DILs have  similar closers. DILs is cherry and daughter's is white.  Very nice and they are easy to organize.  In both cases, it was the husband who wanted to add them into their house plans at the time they were building rather than wait until they got in the homes and try to retrofit.  They each have good men in their lives who try to circumvent chaos in the closets.  

Intelligent men.   It probably does not raise the price of the home very much when being built (monthly payments) and saves much grief with storage problems people have. I know I have a daughter that would probably live with her friends in a closet like this if she had one.  

Esteemed Contributor

@INDIANA BONES

Congratulations on your engagement, BTW.  I wish you the best.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

If you think the closets are a mess you should probably have a very through and honest look at her finances. These clothes are very expensive. If you marry her you will be tied to her and her debts legally. That could be much more scary than the piles and piles of clothes. I also agree with those who say this person seems to be trying to shop her way to happiness, and the issues may be too deep for you to deal with until she seeks professional help.

Thank you for your response.  All your statements could be VERY accurate in many cases.  Finances is not an issue in this situation (for her) but childhood issues do play a part on not parting with items.  Therapists are remarkable and in my opinion never a waste of money from I have witnessed. 

Valued Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

i agree with taking one of the bedrooms and making it a closet. 

if that is not possible, they have those rolling clothes racks that you could buy.  designers use them and stores.  i'm not sure where you could buy them.  maybe if you googled.

also, you could separate the clothes for the seasons and store in bins or those box things that fit under beds or even pile them.  at least it would be neater.

good luck with this project!

Thanks for the good luck wishes.  This is going to just take time.  I have rented a climate controlled building along with tryng to make a bedroom into a nice closet.  Donations being made so we are making progress.  I am also making progress on items I had duplicate of in my airport hangar and my shop.  I was shocked at how much I had I was not using or did not need any longer.   BTW rolling racks were found at Walmart.  :Man LOL