Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions for Clothes for Someone in Nursing Home

@drizzellla wrote:

Please listen to @faeriemoon  and @happilyretiredgirl.

My Dad was in a nursing home for 10 years. It became insane. The man's clothes would disappear as soon as I bought them. It got to the point I would buy a stack of sweat pants, just so he would have enough pants to get through the week. And no use talking to anyone at the nursing home. No one knew a thing. His wedding ring was even stolen off his finger.

I had him taken out of that nursing home. The next one was better but still it seemed brand new clothes would disappear. Older clothes did not.

My Mom was in a nursing home for a year. Her clothes did not seem to disappear as often. I think because she was 92 pounds. And many people can not fit into her small clothes.

PS @Sooner I wish I had been a member of Costco and Sam's Club when my Dad was in a nursing home. Both stores have a nice assortment of warm and comfortable sweat pants and shirts. My Dad lived in them all year long, They worked well when it was cold and when the air conditioning was on.

Mom was another story. She was SO particular about her clothes. I never got anything right. And she was so tough to fit. Everything seemed too big.

@drizzellla Boy do I identify with everything you said.  Mother has been in 9 years, it just short of 100 and still going.  I know how picky she is and no, I've never gotten anything right, just try to do my best.  She's in another state which makes it harder but it would be awful for her to move her at this point.  She refused to live near us. 

Honored Contributor

Talbots "T by Talbots" cotton knit wear is extremly soft and has bottoms, tops, and knit jackets, I have not seen a line by anyone that is as soft as this one.

Respected Contributor

When my mom was in a nursing home for the last month of her life, I brought her some of the sweatshirts & sweatpants & socks that she wore at home, since I wanted to make she stayed warm. Even though I told the nursing home staff that I'd bring her clothes home for laundering, they still managed to get her clothes mixed into the laundry they did there a few times & lost or damaged several things, since they used super hot water & strong detergents & disinfectants in their washers, so it was just as well that I didn't take fancy or expensive things there.  My main goal was to keep her comfortable.

Esteemed Contributor

My late husband who had dementia was in an assisted living facility for two years.  I found Walmart had some "active" pull-on pants and sweatpants that worked well for him.  He could not dress himself, so it was important to find things that were easy (or at least not too difficult) to put on or take off.  I had purchased quite a few T-shirts (long and short sleeves) -- a bit oversized from Walmart and JC Penney's, and found the "V" neck ones were easier to put on and take off.  I tried to avoid zippers and buttons as much as possible.

While I put labels in his clothing and visited him almost every day, some of his clothes went missing or turned up on a different man.  I always pointed it out to the staff, and they tried to do better, but.... 

Like many others have said, I would try to find things that are not too expensive since they may go missing.

Good luck.