Respected Contributor

Re: Suggestions for Clothes for Someone in Nursing Home

Some of the items from Blair might fit the bill.

Contributor

I took clothes from my mother's regular closet, but narrowed it down to t-shirts for layering with sweatshirts, lightweight jackets, and quarter and full zip fleece jackets, along with pull-on pants and jeans.  I rotated things out seasonaly.

I found permanent marker still washed out over time so I ordered stick-on, waterproof name labels. It was 7 or 8 years ago, but think I ordered them from Name Bubbles.

She would have random pieces of clothing disappear for awhile, but the staff usually found everything when we mentioned it and described it.  We also discovered that one of her roommates was taking some of her clothes, but I found all of it when I looked through her closet.  None of it was valuable, and it all seemed accidental. Even her roommate who was mentally declining and just doing odd things. 

Esteemed Contributor

My legs get cold easily due to nerve damage in an auto accident.  I love the plush back pants.  Like sweats but poly knit looks dressier.  

The nicer lounge (wash & dry) suits fill the need beautifully!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Please listen to @faeriemoon  and @happilyretiredgirl.

My Dad was in a nursing home for 10 years. It became insane. The man's clothes would disappear as soon as I bought them. It got to the point I would buy a stack of sweat pants, just so he would have enough pants to get through the week. And no use talking to anyone at the nursing home. No one knew a thing. His wedding ring was even stolen off his finger.

I had him taken out of that nursing home. The next one was better but still it seemed brand new clothes would disappear. Older clothes did not.

My Mom was in a nursing home for a year. Her clothes did not seem to disappear as often. I think because she was 92 pounds. And many people can not fit into her small clothes.

PS @Sooner I wish I had been a member of Costco and Sam's Club when my Dad was in a nursing home. Both stores have a nice assortment of warm and comfortable sweat pants and shirts. My Dad lived in them all year long, They worked well when it was cold and when the air conditioning was on.

Mom was another story. She was SO particular about her clothes. I never got anything right. And she was so tough to fit. Everything seemed too big.

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily Thanks for mentioning Kohl's.  I hadn't thought of them.  I have been doing this for 9 years and am totally out of ideas on this.  I also have sort of run short on where to buy her things. So I hope to find retailers who mail and whose clothes people have had good luck with--for this type of apparel.

Respected Contributor

If you just need one gift, the Berkshire Blanket sherpa cape wrap or hooded cardi wrap are soft and cozy, very pretty, and easy to wear!

Trusted Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

Some of the items from Blair might fit the bill.

Blair is a good idea.  Also National has nice, soft, cotton knit clothing.

Trusted Contributor

I don't have a specific brand, but my mom enjoyed having a 'bed jacket'.  It was soft and cozy and easy for her to put on or just over her shoulders.  i bought hers at Kohls.  I have one too for when I read in bed Smiley Happy  Lap blankets are also a nice thing to have when someone is in a wheelchair.

Super Contributor

The Blair catalog/website is terrific. First order is free shipping and 20 percent off. Long zip up, or snaps or popover sweatshirt type bathrobes, with deep posckets, lots of colors. Some in petite sizes as well. Cute sweatsirt sets.A really nice sweatshirt in a baseball style, no hood , deep pockets, also in petites, a big seller. They also carry Alfred Dunner which my Mom loved.

I do love the Quacker Factory line and Denim and Co., but the Blair line is super affordable, and washes/dries great.

I have alot of their stuff for myself, for working around the home and yard.

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily I appreciate your list.  Hadn't thought about a stuffed pillow/animal.  The people at the nursing home take great care of her but are of little help to us, and the home is in another state.  Fashion and jewelry and style have long gone by the wayside, she is hard to fit and I drive myself nuts over it.

I hope people will mention specific brands and items that they have found successful.  It's so hard now to know.  And thanks for saying go up a size--I usually go with medium rather than small "in case."  She was 89 when she went in 9 years ago