Honored Contributor

Suggestions for Clothes for Someone in Nursing Home

How about suggestions for easy on and off, easy care, not too long, long sleeves, clothes suitable for someone in a nursing home?  Don't need fashion forward, just great to wear ideas.

Any hints? And THANKS!  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Suggestions for Clothes for Someone in Nursing Home

My 90 year old MIL is in assisted livng and has a difficult time now getting around.  I bought her some Alfred Dunner pull on, elastic waist pants on Amazon.  They fit true to size and it's easy enough for her to put them on and take them off.   (she actually uses her reaching tool to grab on to them).   What's nice is that they aren't too heavy, they're comfortable and don't wrinkle easily.   Haven't really had to purchase tops, just a couple of button down sweaters which she can still manage well enough.

Respected Contributor

Male or female?

My husband was in and out of nursing homes for a year and a half.  Flannel PJ type pants, long sleeved t-shirts, a hoodie or cardigan in case needed, Moc type slippers with non-skid soles, sox.

Be sure to write their name in everything with permanent marker or buy washable name labels.

Honored Contributor

Have you tried Silverts.com online.  There are others online with catalogs, too. 

Honored Contributor

Aside from being comfortable and easy on/off, I'd recommend that you not break the bank on them because even though they are labeled, things often end up in the wrong person's closet.

Valued Contributor

@faeriemoon That is so true, my MIL was in a nursing home until she went to heaven last year.  She was always a well dressed lady and so I made sure she looked nice the entire time she was in the nursing home, Unfortunately, anything that was really nice would always disappear, I always felt that it was the staff that was taking her nice clothes.  It got so bad that I just kept her nice things for special occasions, like holidays or when my husband and I would take her out for a evening at my house and I would go to the nursing home and dress her so they would not disappear.  So sad, but this is the world we live in.

Respected Contributor

Both my mother and aunts preferred sweater with pockets.  Best place to find then: Boscov's online.

Other items: bed jacket or short poncho to ward off drafts. The poncho works well since there are no sleeves to fuss with. Wide scarf to keep shoulders and neck warm.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

Male or female?

My husband was in and out of nursing homes for a year and a half.  Flannel PJ type pants, long sleeved t-shirts, a hoodie or cardigan in case needed, Moc type slippers with non-skid soles, sox.

Be sure to write their name in everything with permanent marker or buy washable name labels.

@FranandZoe Either.  I can't be the only one who has a hard time with this.  I hope people will post brands and specific items.   It is mind boggling to try to sort through because what works for us who are up and around often doesn't for people with limited mobility and specific needs.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

Check out the 'As Is' items on QVC, I've picked up some real bargains that are suitable for wearing 'out'and there and every one has been very user friendly, yet comfortable and easy on/off.

I've bought at least 15 items for my Dr. visits, etc. to wear for my Dr. appts. which have been almost daily!

Every item I've purchased has been like brand new, never washed, which most have a good amount of cotton, to allow for shrinkage, if necessary.

Just type 'As Is apparel' in the Q's search field to weed out any other categories.

HTH!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

When my Mom ( who prided herself on being well dressed)was in a nursing home I bought her a lot of inexpensive and very washable house dresses.  When they started to show any wear, I donated them to the home so that others could be well dressed.  I also bought her costume jewelry rings and necklaces.  You don't send any personal items to a nursing home that you can't afford to lose.  My Mom wore A fairly big bra size and needs support so I bought her sports bras, which worked out very well.