Trusted Contributor

Suggestions Please On How To Dress-Up a Polo Shirt

I work in an office and they came up with this "great" idea....you can wear jeans any day of the week IF you wear the marine blue, with company logo, polo shirt. I don't plan on wearing jeans everyday as I have lots of other clothes I still will want to wear to the office.

I'm trying to think of some ideas to make the "uniform" look a little nicer. Can you wear a scarf with a polo shirt?? I usually wear scarfs with boat neck tops and turtle necks. What do you think - would a scarf work with a polo? Or, do you have any other suggestions of how to dress-up the look?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Suggestions Please On How To Dress-Up a Polo Shirt

I don't think polo shirts are intended for "dressing up" with scarves or jewelry -- especially if they have a corporate logo on them. Usually if management wants employees to wear the company logo polo shirt as part of a work uniform, they're looking for simplicity and uniformity (no pun intended!). I'd wear nice, fairly conservative earrings and perhaps a classic watch and/or bracelet and stop there.

Super Contributor

I would agree, the polo shirt is not for dressing up, in actuality it is a sport shirt. You could possibly add a neck scarf and tie it ascot style with the ends tucked into the collar. Just a suggestion.
Super Contributor

Sorry, I think it would look silly to try to dress up a very casual and sporty polo shirt. Embrace it for what it is. Smile

Esteemed Contributor

I would use it as a layering piece and wear a cute jacket over it.

Super Contributor

I wear polos and chinos in the summer. Depending on my ""mood"" - I do throw a scarf around my neck. I have a collection of lightweight rayon scarves in colorful splashy prints. You could do a lot with the marine blue base.

Frequently - just my chunky silver omega and silver hoops.

Respected Contributor

You could pop the collar on the polo shirt and wear either a necklace that has something that dangles and falls right in the hollow of your throat ... or wear layered necklaces. Can you wear some colorful and fashionable shoes and a killer hairstyle? Also, some great earrings and a fashionable watch. If the front of the polo shirt falls low enough, you could wear a colorful cami underneath it ... or a short-sleeve turtleneck in the winter. Good luck! I'm not a big polo shirt fan either, but I did work in one office that required matching polos daily.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

my first question to you is, do you WANT TO wear jeans? we have tried different dress codes at work many times. personally for me, I don't really care for jeans. i always just opt not to wear jeans, and look my usual fab self.

as i am definatley not a jeans casual type of gal, i like the other suggestion on wearing a cute jacket or something over it. use the polo as a layering piece.

Honored Contributor

I don't think it is a look that can really be dressed up.

I worked for a company that had a similar polo shirt. I wore it only when told I had to. lol... Logo polos are not what I consider an attractive look. When I had to wear the shirt I just wore basic casual earrings for the casual look it was.

Honored Contributor

I think jewelry is the only way to dress up a polo. I'd wear a great earring, a statement bracelet and heels to dress up a polo/jeans outfit. A blazer would dress it up too.