Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions Please On How To Dress-Up a Polo Shirt

when we had to wear a polo shirt to work, my department had all women in it, so we all were pearls with our polos.....everyone loved it

Trusted Contributor

You're getting a variety of opinions here, OP. Maybe your best bet is to ask your boss what it's OK to wear with your work outfit. The fact that your employer has just OK'd wearing the corporate logo polo to work with a prescribed color of jeans suggests to me that they are looking for a consistent work "uniform" look -- which to me means minimal embellishment and keeping the focus on the company colors and logo and looking like a "regulation staff member". Your boss can tell you if it's OK to wear colorful scarves, jacket over the logo, or statement jewelry with your uniform.

Respected Contributor

I would say "no" to the jacket over the top, because I think your boss wants the logo to show...otherwise the jacket would be cute.

As for the scarfs, belts, and jewelry, I wouldn't even bother to ask. That is just inviting someone with probably no fashion sense to say "No." Just do your own thing with dressing it up...and yes, you can dress up a polo with accessories.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Valued Contributor

I'd happily pass on wearing jeans because you can't pay me enough to wear a polo shirt. They are completely unflattering on me. If you must wear one, I'd add a blazer in navy or black.
Honored Contributor

...okay, I'm pretty sure beads, bows, belts and chrystal buttons are not the way to go and would not be allowed.

Contributor

I agree. Pearls or round silver bead necklace with silver hoop earrings looks great. I wear that look all the time at work.
On 2/22/2014 upsidedown said:

when we had to wear a polo shirt to work, my department had all women in it, so we all were pearls with our polos.....everyone loved it

Honored Contributor

One of those Isaac or Joan scarves would completely cover up the collar and logo. Add a jacket and you could wear strappy pumps and dangle earrings. Just kidding. I'd go for the casual polo look and resign myself.

Trusted Contributor

Wow - what excellent suggestions I've received from all of you. I really appreciate the time each of you took to help me out - thank you!

Regular Contributor

You could have a boxy polo tailored..adding some seaming or darts for a more fitted tailored look. Tuck it in with good belt.