Respected Contributor

Re: Style is very personal...

@nova wrote:

@wilma   So well-written!  And yes, what you could wear as your style I might not be able to do - and vice versa.  I think a lot of this feeling comes with the maturity of knowing what you feel comfortable with on your own body.  It's a shame so many young teen women still feel the need to follow celebrity looks (like the K. sisters) no matter how crass it might look to the rest of the world.

So you believe in personal style for yourself but not others? 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I would also add in "Taste".   Not everyone has good taste and mix the wrong clothes items together or select the wrong items.

@Katcat1, I think that "taste" is really just a corollary of style and agree more with this, from the OP:

Everyone has their own personal sense of style. Style does not demand that we wear certain items or the latest trends or agree with each other on what is stylish. What each of us likes to wear and what we consider stylish are very subjective. That’s why it’s called personal style. 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@nova wrote:

@wilma   So well-written!  And yes, what you could wear as your style I might not be able to do - and vice versa.  I think a lot of this feeling comes with the maturity of knowing what you feel comfortable with on your own body.  It's a shame so many young teen women still feel the need to follow celebrity looks (like the K. sisters) no matter how crass it might look to the rest of the world.

@mom2four0418  No you are misinterpreting what I meant.  I actually meant the opposite - that some young people don't show their individual beauty perhaps in response to peer pressure to conform to what "celebrity influencers" like the K. sisters popularize.

Honored Contributor

I guess I agree.  I think people should wear whatever makes THE PERSON feel good about themselves.  I know I'm probably going to take heat on this.....but I don't think that necessarily means what they FEEL comfortable in.

I see people out in public and they look like a mess!  They've fallen out of bed and gone out of the house.

What I see has nothing to do with what they spend or how much money they have.  I'm talking about taking a minute to make themselves look (what we used to call....'presentable').

As I've said, my friend and I often eat at Chipoltes.  This particular eatery is exactly between 2 high schools.  It's fun to observe the students and the adults that come in!

The students are 9 1/2 times dressed in clean and nice looking clothes.  Their bodies are covered and the clothes are not skin tight.  They are various sizes.

The adults come in and 'what a freaking mess' probably 7 times.  I've seen more belly's, butt cracks, thighs, boobs, you name it (men the same way) than I ever want to see in a life time!

Think I'm exaggerating?  That would be 'I wish I was'.

I'm trying to decide at what point people decide it's OK to be out in public looking like that.

Again, it's not about what you spend on an outfit.  It's about how you present yourself to the world.

Maybe my idea of what the OP posted isn't right.  This is what style vs fashion means to me.

Incidentally, I live in an area where it's slightly more than middle income.  It's very expensive to live in Northern Va.  

I don't see it just in Chipolte.  I see it in Drs office (the patients coming in), etc.

Honored Contributor

@wilma I agree with you and with Ralph Lauren

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Respected Contributor

@nova wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@nova wrote:

@mom2four0418  No you are misinterpreting what I meant.  I actually meant the opposite - that some young people don't show their individual beauty perhaps in response to peer pressure to conform to what "celebrity influencers" like the K. sisters popularize.

There are daily posts here showing celebrity (including royal) fashions. Posters often ask where they can purchase clothing that the hosts are wearing.  Does that mean that they are not showing individual beauty by wanting to wear the same outfit or is it just young people doing it that you object to?

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I guess the boobs and butt cheeks is their "style".   Style makes a statement about the person whether it is intentional  or not.

Honored Contributor

Definitely agree!   I dress like "me."   

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd  What you said (and better than me) makes sense...I guess.  The whole subject confuses me because I admit I don't know the difference.

I'm all about feeling like I look good.  I do get a lot of compliments but then the only places I go are to the Drs, lunch and putzing around with my friends.

Honored Contributor

I totally agree!