Honored Contributor

Re: Style Uniform vs. Style Rut

When I worked, I think I had no set way to dress.  I wore dresses, skirts and tops, pantsets, sweaters and slacks --- everything!  And I loved wearing color and shoes, jewelry and bags to match! 

Being retired --- all this has for the most part gone away!  I now say I have a sort of uniform.  I rarely go any place.  In the summer I mainly wear black knit crop pants with colorful cotton knit tops.  In the winter it's either black knit pants or sweat pants if I'm walking with colorful sweaters or long sleeve tops.  That's about it!  

Never thought my clothing choices would consist of these limited items but that's where it is! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I wear what I have ---am retired and don't need a uniform anymore---I add a few things each season to keep things fresh but don't really care much about fashion ---I do need a good pair of walking shoes tho--that will be my next pruchase---I don't go out much either but what I do wear is in good shape and fits--I do get rid of things that I don't wear after a year too---and try to do the --the---- for every thing that comes in, the same amount goes away routine----that helps

Honored Contributor

Lol, I might be in a rut, but if I am, I'm ok with it. I wear what fits, is in good condition, fits my lifestyle, looks good on me, and let it go at that. I'm sure not a "slave to fashion", lol.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Yes....my style uniform is in a rut.  I rarely wear dresses anymore and my dress attire had normally been dress pants with a tunic.  I tried to pick unique tunics that had some visual interest in them w/out being "out there".  However, over the past year, I've started to buy a few jackets and vests to break this pattern I've been in.  It's hard for me because I feel jackets are confining but felt I needed to add some.  Yesterday, I wore black pants with an abstract small print tunic that was 3/4 sleeves with a black quilted vest.  I got a lot of compliments on it.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

If i'm in a rut, then I'd rather call it a "well-worn groove", one I'm quite happy in.

I'll bet you look cute, @wilma !  You too, @Shanus !

@Sweetbay magnolia 

Love the idea of calling it our "well worn groove". 👍😉

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

According to the definition of a "style rut", you have to dislike or be tired of the way you dress.

Rut, defined by the trusty English Dictionary as: “A habit or pattern of behaviour that has become dull and unproductive, but is hard to change.” To yourself, then, a style rut will most likely go unnoticed. Others though, they notice it.

@ECBG 

Interesting.

I don't dislike nor I am tired of the way I dress so I guess I'm not in a "style rut" according to that definition.

As far as the definition for "rut", I can't control how others perceive my outfits. If they think they're dull, that's their opinion. I'm at the age where I don't need the approval of others on my clothing choices. 

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I am extra-short, and I am aware of what works for me.   So, I stick with it.    If "other people" think it's a rut....well, that's just too bad!!!!

@Desertdi 

Agree. We can't control what others think about our outfits. I dress for myself, not for others. 

Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

According to the definition of a "style rut", you have to dislike or be tired of the way you dress.

Rut, defined by the trusty English Dictionary as: “A habit or pattern of behaviour that has become dull and unproductive, but is hard to change.” To yourself, then, a style rut will most likely go unnoticed. Others though, they notice it.

@ECBG 

Interesting.

I don't dislike nor I am tired of the way I dress so I guess I'm not in a "style rut" according to that definition.

As far as the definition for "rut", I can't control how others perceive my outfits. If they think they're dull, that's their opinion. I'm at the age where I don't need the approval of others on my clothing choices. 

@wilma 

Everyone has a chosen style type, not a "rut".  You may see clothing and think "That piece looks like Rachel!". 

You choices become you and apparently work for you or you would change them.

If you're happy, that's all that matters.  Style should be fun!Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

My eye craves new things, so I don't see myself as being on the verge of wearing a uniform or being in a rut.  I do try to wear clothes that are flattering, but I don't think that means I have to wear the same all the time.  I don't think I have worn a skirt in years, and I wear mostly tops and pants and jackets, but there is great variety within that.  I do have a preference for certain necklines and sleeves, but, again, most of my things don't look the same, and I break my "rules" all the time.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I was young, it was important to me to wear many different styles and colors.  I don't think I ever repeated an outfit in a month -- always shopping for clothes.

I cringe when I think of how I used to be and wonder why it was so important.  Insecurity?  Wanting to be noticed?  Thank goodness I grew up because that took an awful lot of time and energy, really a waste of it.  Today, I stick to casual, simple lines and neutrals.  Nothing fussy.  Accessories pretty nonexistent.  I don't want to walk into a room and draw attention to myself with my clothes.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.